Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream Your Vintage House

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've always gravitated to the Craftsman Bungalow. There are so many varieties & sizes to pick from. They were the original mail order, deliver & build house. There are so many features that I love about them, especially the warm inviting wood work.
In our area, if you do a walking tour of the west side of town there are oodles of these Bungalow homes. Id love to have several of them as they are so fantastic looking. If I ever move again & have enough funds I'd like to have a modern Bungalow built with all the wonderful features that they have. One of our plans for the future is to move to the Portland, OR area. My brother-in-law lives up there In Tigard and the homes in that area seem to fit the bill of the Bungalow.
Craftsman style has also translated to The Grand Californian Hotel at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA. I just love walking through that place.

Cheers!

Dan

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
How about...

Does this count?

hobbiton10.jpg

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

NDVD_228.jpg

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
The Cotswold Cottage:
57dc-cotswold002edit.jpg

I live about a block from an English Tudor w/Cotswold features - it even has a false thatched roof. Here it is:
oldhat060.jpg

Or, a Greek Revival plantation style house:
L_14799_IMG_2159REG.jpg

Or a sweet Dutch Colonial Revival ;) :
tallhat041.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Somtehing like this...

SpanishBungalow.jpg

A nice Spanish 1920s house, with a tile roof, painted beam ceilings, tiled baths, deco kitchen, and a HUGE living room (I have a grand piano, and I like to have parties). Formal dining room is a must. Real fireplaces. Sweeping staircases, with tiled risers.

Separate dressing room/baths for Senor 1929 and myself, opening off the master bedroom. One gets tired of sharing a bathroom and there is never enough closet space!

I would like it to have a greenhouse/conservatory room opening onto the garden. There should be either a fountain or a stream in the garden.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
SpanishBungalow.jpg

A nice Spanish 1920s house, with a tile roof, painted beam ceilings, tiled baths, deco kitchen, and a HUGE living room (I have a grand piano, and I like to have parties). Formal dining room is a must. Real fireplaces. Sweeping staircases, with tiled risers.

Separate dressing room/baths for Senor 1929 and myself, opening off the master bedroom. One gets tired of sharing a bathroom and there is never enough closet space!

I would like it to have a greenhouse/conservatory room opening onto the garden. There should be either a fountain or a stream in the garden.

This is aaaaamazing! I adore it! Oooh, the pic is great. Have any more in this style?

Sign me up for one too. With stone tile or terrazzo floors, and those little arched wall niches as a place to put vintage pottery or Deco vases. I'll pass on the staircase, though, so I'll live in a Spanish style bungalow down the street from you. With a pergola coming off one of the sides of the house, with fruiting/flowering vines growing on it. And a lion-head wall fountain pouring water.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My vintage home would have bits and pieces of period things- like I already have! We've got a custom built white spindle picket fence that my husband Chuck and I built ourselves. We have over 100+ antique and modern roses in the front back and side yards- the roses are so huge that you almost can't see the house! The other flowers and plants are English garden style.
363929838.jpg
I have a collection of depression glass in a showcase cabinet in the eat-in kitchen. Shown here still when it was still painted white with a wallpaper border-
251348517.jpg
Update early 2009, opposite wall , with wall repaint and egg & dart crown moulding added- I call the kitchen and dining area my English Tea Room! All I'm missing is the AGA!
332253186.jpg

What I don't have that I'd want in my vintage house, is a ballroom like in the film "The Age of Innocence". My husband wants a multi level height library with the rolling ladder like Rex Harrison had in the film "My Fair Lady".
Oh, and an AGA in the kitchen is a must!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Any Danish brick house from 1910s-1950s bungalow or villa suits my tastes and needs. I hate some of the modernizations I'm seeing on most of them today. For some years they were considered good beginner houses and the beginner DIY certainly shows on many of these bungalows.:rolleyes: In other cases they're just stripped of their charm or have some ugly additions from the 1970s.

http://www.bolius.dk/uploads/RTEmagicC__billeder_2008_januar_Ny_bungalow2.jpg

http://www.bolius.dk/uploads/RTEmagicC__billeder_2008_januar_copy_of_Ny_Murermester_facade3.jpg

The two storey houses are perhaps more aestetic but I don't see any advantages to building like this:

http://www.bolius.dk/uploads/RTEmagicC__billeder_2008_januar_Ny_murermester2.jpg I think staircases are spooky so I'm not sure I could live in something like the above.

The architecute of these houses were okay until and including 1963 but I think they lost their charm already in the early 60s.

I like the patricier villas from the 1910s-30s but I'm not sure they're ideal for my lifestyle. I like functional, compact, cozy family atmosphere and one storey homes are preferable.

http://www.bolius.dk/uploads/RTEmagicC__billeder_2008_januar_Ny_Patricier_facade.jpg

http://www.stam.dk/data/57397558/57397724/patriciervilla-s.jpg

http://www.bygglex.dk/images/Patriciervilla.JPG

The one storey houses from the 1940s-50s I saw in CA when I lived there would be the perfect home for me. The ones from the 60s are the most popular but I prefer the older ones. Is this type of house called anything? Can you still find original architecture plans for them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk