Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress like you want to be President

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Sure I could jump on the bandwagon here and start criticising the cut of the cloth..etc, but let's look beyond that, ...These guys (politicians, sports people..etc) are trying on the 'classic style' stakes, and let's give them credit for 'that' rather than taking cheap shots at them because they haven't gone the full hog and splashed out a few thousand on a little bespoke number from Manhattan or Saville Row...

Hear, hear!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mark from Plano said:
The fact is that there are consultants to each campaign that strictly control the dress of each candidate. These consultants all share a similar viewpoint on dress. They want their candidate to look Presidential without looking like a Dandy.

As a part of this there are some common traits that you will see in all Presidential dress, especially during debates and other important televised speaches. These are not "rules" per se that are enforced by anyone, it's just the common understanding of how the American public (as distinct from clothing message board posters) view clothing:
1. Suits. Dark in color. This conveys authority and is offensive to no one. It should be nice, but not too nice. Please gawd don't let it get out that you buy your suits custom-made. If you do, you've just lost the working man's vote (it's as bad as letting it get out that you get $400 haircuts). No adornments. You should look good without looking like you gave it the first thought. Therefore no linen. No pocket squares and no shirt cuffs should show.

2. Shirts. White. There's no reason to wear anything else. Light blue perhaps, but please no stripes, they look funny on TV.

3. Ties. Red. Blue suit, white shirt, red tie reminds people of the American flag. What could be wrong with that? Any other color but red is a 2nd choice and everyone knows you're trying to differentiate on the basis of dress rather than on the basis of policy. Just wear the red tie and shut up about it.

Bottom line is to look presidential. Wait to show some personal style (assuming you have any) after you're elected. That's the way Reagan did it.

Not saying I like the rules, but there they are. At the end of the day, dressing like a presidential candidate is about not letting the clothing get in the way of the message. Joe Sixpack barely trusts these guys as it is, put a pocket square and a brown custom tailored suit on these guys and they don't make it out of Iowa.

You want democracy? You got it. There it is.

I know nothing about American politics, and even less about American politicians. This post, however, I found very interesting and informative. Thanks Mark!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn