Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dressing the part

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Her's me and some friends in old school gear

oldfriends-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Come to think of it... Most of my close friends are into retro wear.
It comes with the territory when it is a passion.

I have fun hanging out with friends in Retro clothes, though I don't turn a girl away on a date if she comes out of the house wearing Jordache Jeans and a tight t-shirt.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I don't mean to hijack this thread. But all of my friends in College had the same thing in common: WWII afficinados, hiking and canoeing, and hard Science Fiction.

We all got along and never had a fight. Except over who made the best uniforms.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey, I remember that night! That was at the Argyle.

I'm on the far right in the Knickerbockers. BTW, the knicks, are from the 30's and the socks were originally sold at Alexander & Oviatt that were made in 1927. I know this because Alexander was bought out by Oviatt in 1928. They sold the best woolens in LA! The building is still there and the LA Art Deco Society holds meetings in the original 1927 Art Deco Penthouse. In fact, it was one of the first Art Deco structures in LA.

For more info on Oviatt, you can see some of the place at this link.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=Oviatt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N

Take care,

Root.

PS. Art probably knows more about it then I do:D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
kabumping this old thread to get some new life into it with all the new FLers

too funny Matt!:) :) :)

Matt Deckard said:
...I have fun hanging out with friends in Retro clothes, though I don't turn a girl away on a date if she comes out of the house wearing Jordache Jeans and a tight t-shirt.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root , this link is no longer good. Got a new one for us?? Sounds great...

Wild Root said:
Hey, I remember that night! That was at the Argyle.

I'm on the far right in the Knickerbockers. BTW, the knicks, are from the 30's and the socks were originally sold at Alexander & Oviatt that were made in 1927. I know this because Alexander was bought out by Oviatt in 1928. They sold the best woolens in LA! The building is still there and the LA Art Deco Society holds meetings in the original 1927 Art Deco Penthouse. In fact, it was one of the first Art Deco structures in LA.

For more info on Oviatt, you can see some of the place at this link.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=Oviatt&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N

Take care,

Root.

PS. Art probably knows more about it then I do:D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
To answer this second post. HA! NONE of my 'previous' friends or 'everyday' friends- the ones I knew and still know before our family got hooked on vintage clothing wear vintage or retro.

But I and the family have now a whole new ever-widening group of deco friends mainly from the local Art Deco Society that we are members of and participate with that we are connecting to. And of course I've met many new friends that enjoy vintage and vintage-inspired right here on FL!

Renderking Fisk said:
How many of your friends are into Retro wear?

Marc Chevalier said:
Fast? No surprise there. The subject is dear to my heart. I'm writing a book on it ... and am in James Oviatt's home town of Farmington, Utah this very minute. .

Wow, I guess they did not have much of a security system there.

Remember we want all the dirt, the affair with Countess Von Zeppelin, the Hollywood stuff and wild Penthouse party pictures for the book!!!

It's funny that the concept of dressing to some type of period has had an appeal to me for a long time. It's similar to the idea that kids have when they saw their favorite TV show or movie and wanting an item that was "just like" their hero, extra,or even villian. I know because I did that too. Perhaps then as adults we see this carry over to the people that dress for the Star Trek and Comic Book conventions. I do not have the ability to go to such an extent comfortably, but I do have no problem wearing a peak lapel double breasted suit or the occassional knickerbockers for an event with the Fedora Lounge.

In the 80's I bought a tux for an event and used it a number of times afterwards. I always got compliments but it never inspired any of those I knew to even consider getting one. Which means I have many friends that can appreciate the concept but won't dress "in character" unless it's Hallowen. Although, they each have a persona that is tied to their daily choice of clothes.

When I stumbled across the Fedora Lounge, my love of dressing the part was quickly reawakened with aquiring and wearing period style clothes. The appeal has been clear to me since my youth as the fashions of the 20's thru the early 60's have some definative stylistic coolness that was very expressive and it simply sings out to my eye. I always love to say that in the B&W tv show of Superman even the thugs dressed well.

Now that I have gotten to know a number of the fellow Loungers, I can say I do have friends that dress the part because of the fortuitous finding of the Fedora Lounge.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I am quite the 'novelty' I suppose out here in my area with wearing vintage, especially at church on a regular basis. Of the ladies in the large weekday Bible Study group last Spring, I had my many "fans" there so to speak that couldn't wait to see what I turned up in every week. After the study there were always two particular ladies that I would pop in that worked in the church offices that always enjoyed havng me stop by to show them the 'outfit o' the day', especially my vintage 40s hats.

On Sundays, I'm always having men and ladies come up to me and admire and engage me in conversation about what I'm wearing and want to talk about the fashions and movies of the Golden Era.

At this point on the game, my wearing something very different than the norm there IS "my" norm to people now. I believe they view the modest and elegant styles of the Golden Era that I wear as frankly refreshing. The look for me is unique, quietly lovely, and very artistically creative.

Since none of these people of course are involved in the Art Deco Society as we are or are social ballroom dancers either, my wearing vintage clothing is quite the conversation starter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou