Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing vintage in the workplace

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Or your coworkers may be in debt up to their eyeballs.

Some may be, but I know that others (i.e. in sales) make over $200,000/year.

I am not a manager, so I am not in their "bonus incentive" club. Still the receptionist drives a new Mercedes.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
KAT said:
:eek:fftopic: but Rebecca..that is so great you do prison work in your free time? Volunteer? I would like to do something like that! But I guess i just stick with the Hospice i wanted apply to....but hats off to you! Respect:eusa_clap

Thanks Kat! I do my day job just to pay the bills; the other stuff I consider my real job. I don't think I'd feel very complete if I didn't have my political work.

But I was out at San Quentin yesterday, and to my dismay I saw that they added peach to their list of forbidden colors, and of course I was wearing a peach blouse. I'm now thinking of limiting my visiting clothes to all black, which isn't what I like to do seeing that the entire place is already so dark.

Elle

New in Town
My work doesn't have a dress code, so most of the time, I'm the most dressed in the office, even if I'm wearing a housedress.
I wear skirts mostly and keep one pair of jeans for those days where I just can't muster up enough energy in the morning to be all nice and pressed.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Thanks Kat! I do my day job just to pay the bills; the other stuff I consider my real job. I don't think I'd feel very complete if I didn't have my political work.

But I was out at San Quentin yesterday, and to my dismay I saw that they added peach to their list of forbidden colors, and of course I was wearing a peach blouse. I'm now thinking of limiting my visiting clothes to all black, which isn't what I like to do seeing that the entire place is already so dark.

I understand the strict dress code, sorta. But, what is wrong with peach????

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion, after visitors are processed in to the prison they have to walk across the grounds, which are watched over by armed guards in towers. If I were to wear a lime green outfit, a guard could confuse me for an inmate in a lime green jumpsuit. That's why they banned denim, too, because inmates on the yard wear prison blues. They also say that in case of a riot, they would be able to determine by color who to shoot. Pleasant place.

However, I really can't figure out the no cardigan rule, the no peach rule, and so many other rules that they change on a regular basis. I just always remember to bring a back-up outfit and a lot of patience.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage style to work, real vintage to go out

At last, my first post :) I work at a branch of the public library so with all of the jumping up and fetching things, I wear vintage styles from the thrift store. Talbots, Liz Claiborne and Leslie Fay have nicely revived 40s styles over the years. The hair and makeup are almost always vintage style, including the snood I just received from the Diva Pinup. Luckily, this doesn't fall under the no-hat policy!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Welcome BegintheBeguine!

My work has no dress code. I work at an off road wheel manufacturer, so we're all pretty much a t shirt and jeans crowd. Sometimes I wear skirts and they ask "Where are you going? You got a date?" Or something of the like... lol Sometimes I dress vintagey and the guys downstairs get a kick of it... some tell me I look like Louis Lane, but most days it's jeans or linen pants with t-shirts or a casual button up shirt and either a casual blazer or a hoodie sweatshirt.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lois Lane?! HAHAHAHHAA lol

Thats a hoot.
I got Billie Holliday the other day, but I get that often (alas not from a supercute guy, but a compliment none the less :rolleyes: )

PS LAuren, Im diggin your new avatar pic.

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
Some may be, but I know that others (i.e. in sales) make over $200,000/year.

I am not a manager, so I am not in their "bonus incentive" club.

They still might be in debt. I know of someone who makes over $1 million per year and has a hard time meeting ends meet. Buying $1000 watches, bespoke suits, $100,000 cars, and paying a $1million mortgage, $200,000 per year couldn't go very far.

Tourbillion said:
Still the receptionist drives a new Mercedes.

:eek:

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Many of the teachers in my school wear khaki shorts/teeshirts/jeans/sweatsuits as their uniforms, but I still think it's a great place to road-test my vintage looks. I look young, so wearing vintage adds years and professionalism. I think the kids appreciate that I dress up for work.

I wear nylons almost every day...though, since they get snagged on desks, I skip the fully-fashioned in favor of something that's about $2 a pair. Heels, dresses, pencil skirts, cardigans, and vintage glasses are all par for the course for a schoolmarm look.

In my other job, I hock clothes at Ann Taylor Loft. They sell so many vintage-inspired classic designs that it's easy for me to fit in with their styles. I do wear more classic than identifiably retro hairstyles there though. I want customers to see the merchandise as classic...not old-fashioned. My manager fully supports my expression of style, and the older shoppers seem to gravitate toward the Golden Era girl.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
i used to wear vintage inspired, but now we got a work-uniform (sort of). But I see it positive... Like that I can spend more money on my clothes and don´t need to think something like "Can I wear this at work, too???".;)

ladyk

Familiar Face
Quite frankly I don't know how to dress any other way. I work for a rather stuffy old British medical organisation in their conference department which involves me quite often coming into contact with the great and the good in medicine over here. I wear 30's to 50's suits with blouses and smart sweaters, seamed stockings and smart heeled shoes and they are fine with it. Although they seem to be mildly amused by my attire, they are more than happy for me to dress as I do for functions as it always looks smart, which is fine and dandy by me. If they expected me to wear modern clothing I honestly wouldn't know how to start!

Kirsty

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari said:
i used to wear vintage inspired, but now we got a work-uniform (sort of). But I see it positive... Like that I can spend more money on my clothes and don´t need to think something like "Can I wear this at work, too???".;)
Where do you work that you have a uniform? I kinda wish we had them...at least for the students, but I'd wear one too if asked to. I like school uniforms for kids...pride, unity, and all.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
skinnychik said:
I wear nylons almost every day...though, since they get snagged on desks, I skip the fully-fashioned in favor of something that's about $2 a pair. Heels, dresses, pencil skirts, cardigans, and vintage glasses are all par for the course for a schoolmarm look.

Ive always wanted to do the school/nanny matron look. The long fitted jacket and block heeled shows. Some of that 'style' is pretty appealing. :)

LD

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I work as a receptionist in a company that does the websites for some major TV-channels. Not too long ago me and my collegues at the reception got a bunch of blazers, blouses and trowsers to wear at work. We are all happy cause it saves a lot of time in the morning cause you don´t have to think around what to wear today plus they don´t look too bad. We have blouses in burgundy and beige and me and my workmate allways wear oposite colours.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have been so relaxed in my wardrobe since getting pregnant and the heat really got to me as well this year.Cut my hair off in a hormonal fit,but have to say it has been so much easier to deal with.Clothing has been difficult and it's impossible to find classic looking maternitywear that isn't expensive.

Normally,my work wear consists of skirts and blouses or sweaters with a vintage-vibe.A few vintage daydresses worn with cardigans.The occasional wide-leg pant and wedges or round toe pumps with a small heel.I usually keep my jewelry simple,pearl studs,my deco-inspired watch and wedding band. It will probably be some time next fall before I can feel like myself again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24