Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing Vintage so as not to Garner Attention

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I should also mention, though, that since I started dressing retro/vintage, I've had more compliments (in the last 8 months or so) than I have in my entire life. I think :D

exactly! :) I get compliments ALL the time. Getting a bit of attention isn't a bad thing! :) Just think about this... I've put on 2 dress sizes through a bit of a rough patch in my life, and I should be feeling totally down in the dumps, but I get compliments all the time about how nice I look and people saying they love my style, so I actually feel pretty good about myself :) If I didn't get all those compliments, I bet I wouldn't!!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I bought a magazine the other day and the fashion pages are full of vintage inspired clothes! 50's fashion has made a comeback :)

Very true! It's actually not hard to throw in a bit of vintage-esque style right now, the shops are actually full of vintage inspired clothes, especially 50s dresses and skirts! So really, it will just look like you're being trendy :D

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Very true! It's actually not hard to throw in a bit of vintage-esque style right now, the shops are actually full of vintage inspired clothes, especially 50s dresses and skirts! So really, it will just look like you're being trendy :D

Thats right...as an "easy in " into the vintage world for those who are a little to shy to go all out vintage :) Im loving the fact that 50's are in! :love:

crwritt

One Too Many

I'm hoping to see this trend blowing our way. Maybe we're behind the curve here in New England. Most of what I've seen in stores lately looks straight from the 1980's.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm hoping to see this trend blowing our way. Maybe we're behind the curve here in New England. Most of what I've seen in stores lately looks straight from the 1980's.

Same here... you should see some of the stuff my undergrads come to class in! 80s central. Brings back tacky memories :p

subject101

One of the Regulars
I love vintage style but don't like drawing attention to myself.

Well, I'm not a lady but I have the very same problem, I like dressing vintage but I don't like drawing attention to myself either. For me the trick is not to over do it and mixing vintage stuff with regular stuff. For instance, I really love vintage double breasted suits. A grey double breasted blazer plus a black tie is great but nobody goes like this nowadays and I'm pretty aware I'm going to draw attention, too dressy. Instead you can chose the very same double breasted blazer but in black and a dark green, brown, grey... tie. Nobody is going to notice that you go vintage. Add chino pants and you are totally in but still vintage.

BTW, I like vintage women, sometimes drawing attention is not bad at all :lol:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy