Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driver's Cap... A Question!

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
I have an odd question to ask, maybe. I was wondering if anyone might have an idea where a body might find a pattern for a driver/ivy/newsboy cap like this.
dp-chs52.jpg

I recently acquired some material ( 9 oz. grey wool tweed) that I think would be very fitting for this style of cap and thought it might be fun to make one. I have done an exhaustive search on the internet but could not find a pattern. I have since then done a study of images and drafted my own pattern. I think it will work, however, I would like to compare it to any available patterns out there to see how close I have come to the mark. While I have been designing/drafting patterns for clothing for several years now, this is my first attempt at a cap and I am quite nervous about that first cut on the wool :eek: . I was just wondering if any of you hatters out there had any pointers or info. It would greatly be appreciated! It will be quite a fun project and will gladly keep you loungers updated if any one might be interested. Thanks in advance, for any info that I might receive.

duggap

Banned
Check out a thread a little futher down the page titled "News Boy Caps". They mention a company named BWare hats. You can send them your material and they will make the cap for you. :)

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
duggap said:
Check out a thread a little futher down the page titled "News Boy Caps". They mention a company named BWare hats. You can send them your material and they will make the cap for you. :)

Thanks for the help Duggap! I saw that but I really would like to make it myself, as it is a bit of a challenge / exercise for me. I need to keep my tailoring/sewing skills sharp. I studied stuff like this in college and have not made anything in over six months and I thought this might be a good project to get the mojo going again.
I really dig (no pun intended) your name. I am currently researching/writing a book about a company that was there ( Co. D, 38th Ind.) I might like to talk to you on the side about this.

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
shortbow said:
Luke, how about getting hold of an inexpensive example of a cap you like and deconstructing it to make you pattern from?

I had thought about that, but sinced I got the material for free I thought I might try to make ths a "freegan" project. I really do not want to invest anything into it, except for time. I have taken mesurments from a couple of my friends caps but the proportion of cut were diffrent on both of them. I may just run with my draft and see what happens.

Josephine

One Too Many
LuketheLurker said:
I had thought about that, but sinced I got the material for free I thought I might try to make ths a "freegan" project. I really do not want to invest anything into it, except for time.

Are you looking for a free pattern then?

Josephine

One Too Many
LuketheLurker said:
Or a very very cheap pattren.

I saw an old McCall's pattern on Etsy, but they wanted $9.95 for it (plus s&h). I also saw a pattern for a knitted one, an octagon (top) with a rectangle (back) at one end, and a long strip for the sides and bill. You might be able to use that for a cloth one (a mock up would probably be a good idea before cutting into your material).

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
Josephine said:
I saw an old McCall's pattern on Etsy, but they wanted $9.95 for it (plus s&h). I also saw a pattern for a knitted one, an octagon (top) with a rectangle (back) at one end, and a long strip for the sides and bill. You might be able to use that for a cloth one (a mock up would probably be a good idea before cutting into your material).

Thanks for all your help I will check everything out. Yeah, I was deffinately going to do a mock up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR