Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
tuppence, my grandparents had a Morris Minor when they lived in Japan in the mid-1950s. Apparently they were so ubiquitous there that they had a sticker in the rear window reading "There goes ANOTHER Morris". Initially they brought their 1952 Buick with them, but discovered it was too big (and too left-hand drive) for Japan's roads, so they had it painted black and sold it to a prosperous businessman who used it as a limo.

HOP UP, that Chevrolet bomb is beautiful. Firme indeed!

-Dave

Story

I'll Lock Up
I do believe you people missed this one -

Lot No: 455
The ex-Maharaja of Kotah "Tiger Car"
1925 Rolls-Royce New Phantom Torpedo Sports Tourer
Coachwork by Barker
Chassis no. 23 RC
Engine no. CT 15
Equipped for hunting Bengal tigers and other wild game, this especially opulent and intriguing 1925 Rolls-Royce Torpedo Sports Tourer was originally commissioned by India's Umed Singh II. Also known as Sahib Bahadur, Umed Singh II was the Maharaja of Kotah from 1889 until his death in 1940. An avid big game hunter, the Maharaja enjoyed ample opportunity to engage his passion on the extensive grounds of his family's private estate. Monarchs, world leaders and titans of international industry frequently hunted alongside him, as his guests.

http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/19363/lot/455/#

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Mouse Motor

I just bought a '58 Morris Minor. It's the only vintage car I can afford.
Nothing wrong with a Morris Minor, just stuff a small block Chevy engine in it and you will be burning up the quarter mile in no time flat! Had a few friends do that over the years.

Agreed. It's good to see people enjoying four doors. Personally, I like them better (especially no-posts) that way they're still sporty looking, but much more practical than a two-door. I built a hot-rod 58 Chev 4-door once upon a time, fun car.

BoPeep, I'm glad to see the shoebox is coming along so nicely!

WOW BP - VERY COOL ride....not many more doors get the treatment, I LOVE IT !!

Nice flake !!

Any more pix ?

HOP UP

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Hey Hop Up ! Can you spare me some chrome!!! OMG I love your car, you've got all the extra goodies that I crave !!! Seriously sweet car!
Thanks for all the extra pics, how about some of the interior......sheesh...I could just stare at this for hours! Love it!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
BP that is indeed a beautiful Fordor. In the Shoebox ('49-'51) years I vastly prefer the Fordors over the Tudors. They have the same roofline, but without those rear doors the Tudor just looks a little awkward - as though it really wishes it were a Club Coupe.

-Dave

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Looks like it was a fun time, HOP UP. Some really great looking cars there with classic styling (love panel scallops). And of course your Chevy is gorgeous. That front end has amazing chrome! My Shoebox, not so amazing chrome, but now I'm sporting metalflake. :)
http://willowhomestead.blogspot.com/2011/09/shoebox-update-details.html

Nice, BoPeep!

One question: Isn't that a Nash Metropolitan hood ornament? I have part of one (the woman) somewhere around here that I bought thinking I'd use it on my car, but went with a different one.

Cheers,
Tom

Adam James Walker

New in Town
Buick Invicta 1959:

xqaquv.jpg

I couldn't believe I was seeing something like this, especailly in this dreary corner of North-East England - where I can only imagine mid-century American motors weren't exactly common. It sold for £10'000 - after coming down from £12'000 - now I don't know whether that was an accurate pricing or not, it was from an vintage car dealship with some pedigre - especially after I went there.

Man if I was only about 5 years older and had that decent engineering job...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Going the occasional car meet here in central Iowa is a depressing reminder of the passage of time. The Stock category now extends no further back than 1950. You just do not see a car any older than that unless it is heavily customized. And the men bringing the cars are often fairly up in years.

Makes me think the 20s and 30s cars have totally aged out of popularity. Many have probably gone to the southwest with their owners, who were more the pastel polo shirt type than the eagle and flag tee crowd.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran