Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

habberdasher

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
HMMPFH!

I receive your meaning, OM. Modern cars are nearly trouble free, at least as compared with the old-timers. Even so, I drive antique. Drove a T Model in daily service all through university and then on another fifteen years, at which point I upgraded to a six-cylinder Buick. I've since gone through several other machines of 1920's vintage, and it appears that I am on my way back to the Ford car again.

These early machines are not unreliable if they have first been put into TOP mechanical condition and are maintained scrupulously. A half-hour each Saturday morning is usually enough time to handle all of the little adjustments. Of course these cars don't ride or brake like modern machines, that is a given, but are indeed drivable, if one is patient.
Not exactly safe, though!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
habberdasher said:
How did people drive with no armrests or restraints? No headrests, seatbelts, so you could easily slide off your seat!

When I was growing up we had an old Nash which was just as you describe -- no belts, restraints, doodads of any kind. My "child safe car seat" was an old cardboard box placed in the middle of the big bench front seat, and I'd be plopped down in that. When I got too big, they turned the box upside down and I'd sit on top of it. OSHA would not have approved, but somehow I survived.

To the end of his days, my grandfather would cut the seat belts out of any car he owned that had them. "Not gonna be trapped to roast like a pig if it catches on fire," he would mutter as he sawed away.

LizzieMaine said:
When I was growing up we had an old Nash which was just as you describe -- no belts, restraints, doodads of any kind. My "child safe car seat" was an old cardboard box placed in the middle of the big bench front seat, and I'd be plopped down in that. When I got too big, they turned the box upside down and I'd sit on top of it. OSHA would not have approved, but somehow I survived.

To the end of his days, my grandfather would cut the seat belts out of any car he owned that had them. "Not gonna be trapped to roast like a pig if it catches on fire," he would mutter as he sawed away.

In the 1950s they had crib type accessories for Chevy station wagons. The advertisement shows the child standing in it. I am sure OSHA wouldn't approve now but many, many children likely never wore seatbelts or any such thing. They survived as well. I went around with my mother on the floor of the car in a wicker bassinet type thing when I was a baby. Sort of like one of theses but the basket detached for carrying.
Leipold-NBWickerBass-MED.jpg

I am still here. I don't even remember car seats back then. [huh]
Let's not be lulled into feeling safe in newer car just because they tell you they are safer:
2001NissanMaxima.jpg

2001 Nissan Maxima
2002Kia.jpg

2002 Kia

DodgeDeluxe

New in Town
For me a large part of the enjoyment of driving my '39 is the fact that it is not like driving a modern car. Sure, I could put radial tires on it and an electric fuel pump, and all kinds of modern upgrades, but then it would lose the very appeal that attracts me. I want to experience what they experienced in motoring back then, so for me, it's bias plys and a Stromberg carburetor and all the mechanical issues that may go along with it. I agree, I would not drive the '39 as my daily driver, it's rather an escape, if I want to have comfort and dependability I can drive my '08. I have often pondered the thought about there being no seat belts in the '39, and if something bad were to happen I'd probably get pretty messed up, but I just can't bring myself to install seat belts in her. I did however take the liberty of converting the parking into turn signals. The modification is non-detectable on the outside, as I used the existing factory fender mounted parking lights and rear tail lights. The only tell tale sign is the steering column mounted lever, and even those were actually available as an aftermarket item and were very common. No more hand signals!!!

Dan

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
People drove without seatbelts, but some who got in a wreck didn't survive. Oh heck, people jumped in the back of pick-up and rode around there and there were no seats. People survived. Now let's not get political on seatbelts.:rolleyes:

habberdasher

A-List Customer
DodgeDeluxe said:
For me a large part of the enjoyment of driving my '39 is the fact that it is not like driving a modern car. Sure, I could put radial tires on it and an electric fuel pump, and all kinds of modern upgrades, but then it would lose the very appeal that attracts me. I want to experience what they experienced in motoring back then, so for me, it's bias plys and a Stromberg carburetor and all the mechanical issues that may go along with it. I agree, I would not drive the '39 as my daily driver, it's rather an escape, if I want to have comfort and dependability I can drive my '08. I have often pondered the thought about there being no seat belts in the '39, and if something bad were to happen I'd probably get pretty messed up, but I just can't bring myself to install seat belts in her. I did however take the liberty of converting the parking into turn signals. The modification is non-detectable on the outside, as I used the existing factory fender mounted parking lights and rear tail lights. The only tell tale sign is the steering column mounted lever, and even those were actually available as an aftermarket item and were very common. No more hand signals!!!

Dan

How are cars built before 1939 legal if they didn't have any or standard signal blinkers?

DodgeDeluxe

New in Town
habberdasher said:
How are cars built before 1939 legal if they didn't have any or standard signal blinkers?

I'm not sure what the laws are in other states, but here in New York, a vehicle is required to be safety and emission inspected each year. The inspection requires the vehicle to meet the standards of the year of it's manufacture. Meaning that all factory original safety equipment, lighting, emission controls, etc. must be in place and functioning. If it was never original equipment, then it is not required to have it. So a 1939 that never had seat belts, or turn signals, or catalytic converters, back up lights, etc. is not required to have them now. Only original equipment for the vehicle as it left the factory.

Dan

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
habberdasher said:

There is no state that requires the addition of turn signals to a machine that was not originally sold with them. Of course, without electric turn signals one WILL be cited for failure to signal if one does not use hand signals, and so most who really drive their cars add accessory turn indicators. Besides, many younger drivers are so ignorant of basic driving technique and etiquette that some mistake a left turn signal for a wave!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
MINI Cooper?
Yes, but not really attractive or American. They were too accessible and therefore design wasn't really a factor. I'm talking about the vintage American, luxury British, and German cars, primarily 20s-30s. Some companies have a slight old-fashioned flair but still is obviously modern. The Buick Blackhawk is a good example of a good retro-styled car that doesn't have too much of a reference to modern designs. However my favorites are Bufori and Morgan.

DodgeDeluxe

New in Town
vitanola said:
There is no state that requires the addition of turn signals to a machine that was not originally sold with them. Of course, without electric turn signals one WILL be cited for failure to signal if one does not use hand signals, and so most who really drive their cars add accessory turn indicators. Besides, many younger drivers are so ignorant of basic driving technique and etiquette that some mistake a left turn signal for a wave!

Yes indeed! That was the main reason I added them to my '39, I was not too confident about today's drivers seeing or recognizing hand signals. I couldn't agree with you more.

Dan

habberdasher

A-List Customer
DodgeDeluxe said:
I'm not sure what the laws are in other states, but here in New York, a vehicle is required to be safety and emission inspected each year. The inspection requires the vehicle to meet the standards of the year of it's manufacture. Meaning that all factory original safety equipment, lighting, emission controls, etc. must be in place and functioning. If it was never original equipment, then it is not required to have it. So a 1939 that never had seat belts, or turn signals, or catalytic converters, back up lights, etc. is not required to have them now. Only original equipment for the vehicle as it left the factory.

Dan
Then states must have HUGE files of what different cars had standard from the dawn of the automobile! Also, I don't think cars before and during the 20s had tail lights! Did they?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'm glad to see other folks have the same concerns I do

Driving my '54 when it still had the original 235 and two-speed Powerglide could get a little hairy on SF Bay Area freeways. The peppy little straight six would definitely keep up with traffic in a pinch, but was always clearly happier cruising at 50-55mph (which in the Bay Area is positively a snails pace!). I also definitely had a few white knuckle stops with those old drum brakes.

A wise old restorer once told me "the key to driving old cars is to drive them on the kind of roads they were designed for."

habberdasher

A-List Customer
DodgeDeluxe said:
Yes indeed! That was the main reason I added them to my '39, I was not too confident about today's drivers seeing or recognizing hand signals. I couldn't agree with you more.

Dan
Did people really use HAND SIGNALS before blinkers were added?! How inconvenient and neanderthal!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Trust us. They did. Why do you think they still teach you to use them in driver's training? Or do they still teach hand signals now? [huh] :eusa_doh:
Don't know, I'm 13! I just never saw people doing hand signals in the old movies!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Any good bicycle safety course still teaches hand turn signals -- although too few cyclists use them today.

In the Era, you'd occasionally see a crude semaphore turn signal attached to the back of a truck -- usually a plank of wood mounted on a pivot and controlled by a rope operated from the cab. Usually the tip of the plank would be painted red, but sometimes wise guys would nail a glove to it to simulate a "hand signal."

LizzieMaine said:
Any good bicycle safety course still teaches hand turn signals -- although too few cyclists use them today.

In the Era, you'd occasionally see a crude semaphore turn signal attached to the back of a truck -- usually a plank of wood mounted on a pivot and controlled by a rope operated from the cab. Usually the tip of the plank would be painted red, but sometimes wise guys would nail a glove to it to simulate a "hand signal."

I have seen those "hand signals." lol lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21