Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry sweat band

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I just scored a new vintage hat. Its in fine condition (pictures pending), but the sweat band is very dry and cracks when I flex it.

What can I do to soften the sweet band? I tried to adding neatsfoot oil to a band in the past and all I ended up with was well oiled confette...

Lorne

May be too far gone but try Lexol conditioner.
Usually when they are cracking, the pores of the leather are closed up due to dryout & won't absorb any oils.
Even if it does soften up some, the first time you sweat while wearing & that dries, adios sweatband....

Unlike baseball gloves, sweatbands are made from very thin strips of leather. When they begin to crack they are finished. It can likely be worn comfortably on occasion as long as you don't sweat. Perspiration will speed up the disintegration. A new one can be put in easily by a custom hatter. If you'd like to retain the original sweat I would recommend removing it from the hat before sending it out for a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner