Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb question about red hair!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree, you can wear most colors, it just depends on your skin tone and what color red hair you're wearing. I'm fair-skinned with freckles & warm undertones, brown eyes, and light auburn hair. I can wear pretty much everything except flourescents or hot pink. I also don't think I look very good in red, because I tend to flush easily and I end up looking like a tomato. :lol:

As far as dry shampoos go, I've honestly not had much luck with them. I typically wash my hair 1-2 times per week, and sometimes I will use a dry shampoo on the last day before I wash it. I've used Sebastian and John Frieda. They work okay, but I feel like they actually make my hair feel more greasy by the end of the day that I've used them. I've never had issues with powdery residue or anything showing.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My natural color is dark brown but I used to dye it lighter (dark or medium gold blond). Last time I chose a reddish hair dye No. 7.45 but it turns brown, almost nothing to do with red. But I do want to achieve a nice red color, preferably not very dark or in the violet shades. How can I do it? What would it happen in case that I use 8.45 (or other red shade, hope you could advise me which one :) ) with 30 vol peroxide?
It depends on what brand you are using and it depends on if your hair has color on it now. Going from a 7 to an 8 isn't going to affect how red it is, but rather the numbers after the decimal point, usually. Some brands are just not well known for their red colors. I could help if I had more information.

Antje

One Too Many
I know that In europe you use brands with German making they are way better in red than the French brands
I don't like L'oreal, in general with haircolouring, in the salon we use Indola that is awsome with red.
I think brands like schwartzkopf are also great

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Framesi, an Italian brand, is also really good for red, but in the States, it's salon-only. I would recommend Goldwell, if you can get it. It is the best red I've tried, but I don't have access to Schwartzkopf.

I<3Tiki

New in Town
Not sure if you have the same brands there or not, but I have had good results in the past with L'Oreal's Mega Reds (they now have a Mega Reds line specifically for use on dark hair but I have not tried it) and Feria lines. I also have medium to dark brown hair and I used to like the real bright, firey (almost orange-y) reds. However, the color generally faded to a light reddish-brown in about 2 weeks and it also fried my hair, forcing me to keep it short. More recently, though, I have discovered that I can use a demi-permanent developer with permanent colors & it is MUCH gentler on my hair & seems to actually stay in longer and better than the permanent (with 20 - 40 vol developers) ever did. My current mixture of choice is Clairol Soy4Plex in Lightest Intense Red and Light Intense Red Violet mixed with the Clairol Demi-Permanent Developer. Also, if you are trying to avoid the brown tones, I was told to look for colors that only have R's (red) or V's (violet) in the label (like RRR or RV), though, I have only noticed that type of labeling on the dyes sold at professional-type stores - I'm not sure if the ones sold in the drugstores are labeled that way to tell you what colors they are formulated with.

Hope this helps! :)

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
My hair is bright crayon red. But I put mahogany undertones in it and it looks great with plum purples, but not so much with lavender or any lighter purple shades. I agree with matching your skin tone to the colors you wear, purple is a cool color which is why olive skin tones look better in darker purple tones.
hair.jpg

Hi ladies,
I'm a brand new here and have a question abt dying my hair red, which is adorable color and I'm able to take all kind of risks just to find the best shade and keep it vivid :rolleyes:
My natural color is dark brown but I used to dye it lighter (dark or medium gold blond). Last time I chose a reddish hair dye No. 7.45 but it turns brown, almost nothing to do with red. But I do want to achieve a nice red color, preferably not very dark or in the violet shades. How can I do it? What would it happen in case that I use 8.45 (or other red shade, hope you could advise me which one :) ) with 30 vol peroxide?

How vivid do you really want to be? You should lighten your hair the way you originally did (30V is okay, but don't use anything higher that that!) and then add another overlay color, depending on how vivid you want. Pravana has great overlay (toner) colors if you want to be really bright. Framesi's 221 series too.

Belle Fatale

New in Town
I wish to know which red is possible to achieve from dark hair with no bleaching the natural dark roots :)

Well, assuming you're using 20 volume developer (I think most permanent box dyes come with this; don't quote me on that, though), you can go a level or two lighter than your natural color without needing to use a separate bleach. If you mean no lift at all, though, you're not going to get much of a result if your natural color is very dark. I think you might only be able to get no-lift color with non-permanent hair colors. I am not a professional, though, so take my answer with a grain of salt!

As for your original question, I'm a (dyed) redhead and I totally wear purple!

Cara Wheeler

New in Town
I have naturally auburn hair, neutral to pink skin and freckles and I love wearing any gem tones. It all has to do with your skin tone rather than your hair. There are so many variations of redhead coloring and so many different purple tones that you should be able to get away with more than you think.

Check out this blog post to see the variations in even natural redhead coloring.
http://knittingtango.blogspot.com/2008/02/redhead-color-typology.html

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm fair-skinned with freckles & warm undertones, brown eyes, and light auburn hair. I can wear pretty much everything except flourescents or hot pink. I also don't think I look very good in red, because I tend to flush easily and I end up looking like a tomato. :lol:

This highlights so well how it all depends on skin tone! I have cool undertones and green eyes with auburn hair, and I'm told that red and hot pink are my best colours :)

throughya89

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies to my post, girls, I feel very welcome :)
As for the brand, L'oreal is not that good to be honest, ..fades faster and you don't have a big choice of red shades. It actually provides much better blond colors than reds.
http://i40.tinypic.com/5a0u51.jpg This is my previous haircolor. After re-dying it last month with 7.54 and 30 vol. I got this http://i43.tinypic.com/2zqvecz.jpg (sorry for that ugly photo)
It turns out darker and browner but I wanted it copper red or something similar at least.

@Belle Fatale,
my natural dark hair color is kind of temperamental indeed, I can never get a nice lighter hair (3 levels or more) when using only 20 vol. developer.

@magnolia76,
I don't want extremely bright tone, just some sweet copper red, for my lovely freckles and a silly look :D

@kamikat, @Antje, @I<3Tiki, thank you all. I usually buy L'oreal Majirel from a salon near home.

This color should be copper red, right? I hope to achieve it.
eild9j.png

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Get it done professionally without a cut or blowdry and it's usually only about $40-50. After that you can just touch up the root. I'd go lighter, about an 8, and just do straight red with 15 volume. No higher or you'll have broken hair!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR