Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dye?

maisie

Practically Family
Has anyone ever tried dying a crepe dress, if so what is the best dye to use? Or would it have to be dyed by a professional?

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Silk crepe dyes like a dream. If you have experience dying you should be able to do it yourself without incident. If you're new to it, or the dress is a treasure, you might want to send it to a professional.

Be careful of any buttons or padding. I don't know about old ones, but new zippers are often coated and don't dye well (learned that after trying to do one for 5 hours at work). Also be careful of the thread. It shouldn't be a problem for vintage, but I've found that a lot of modern stuff is sewn with acrylic thread. (very frustrating to dye a white cotton shirt red and have all the stitching stay white or pink.)

BV

magneto

Practically Family
maisie said:
Has anyone ever tried dying a crepe dress, if so what is the best dye to use? Or would it have to be dyed by a professional?

I second BettyValentine's post, silk crepe dyes well. You want a professional fabric dye, not the Rit stuff from the supermarket. An excellent place that sells dyes for silk (and rayon, nylon, etc) is http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyepaint/

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy