Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyeing Clothes

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto the above posts.
ESPECIALLY with the acid dyes, they'll end up eating the delicate fibres and leave you with something that used to maybe be a piece of clothing.
AVOID DYING RAYON ALL TOGETHER!!! It shrinks when washed!!!

epr25

Practically Family
I don't remember where on here but it seems like someone had mentioned just spot dyeing with a spray bottle to correct things like shoulder fading and underarm issues. Does anyone else remember that?

epr25

Practically Family
I forgot my original question I have a nice suit that is a faded light mauve color. I want it to be a tan or caramel color. Possible?

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Lauren said:
Ditto the above posts.
ESPECIALLY with the acid dyes, they'll end up eating the delicate fibres and leave you with something that used to maybe be a piece of clothing.
AVOID DYING RAYON ALL TOGETHER!!! It shrinks when washed!!!

I'm not sure if I agree with this- the "Acid" in Acid Dyes are typically vinegar, that's about it. You may have had a specific event that turned out badly, but vinegar generally isn't that damaging.
Rayon is actually THE best fabric to dye! Granted yes it will shrink, although a lot of times you can steam/press it out to a size very close to the original.

Can anyone else confirm or deny these points? Maybe it's more a question of weave rather than fiber?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by Dakotanorth:
I'm not sure if I agree with this- the "Acid" in Acid Dyes are typically vinegar, that's about it. You may have had a specific event that turned out badly, but vinegar generally isn't that damaging.
Rayon is actually THE best fabric to dye! Granted yes it will shrink, although a lot of times you can steam/press it out to a size very close to the original.

I believe it depends on whether you're dyeing vintage or modern. Modern rayon is generally stable, but since rayon was a (relatively) new fiber at that point in time, the fabrics weren't necessarily stable, and varied in how they reacted. Add the passage of time, and you get an even weaker and more unstable fabric. It *will* take dye readily, though.

Originally posted by epr25:
I forgot my original question I have a nice suit that is a faded light mauve color. I want it to be a tan or caramel color. Possible?

Depends on how light the mauve is, and what the undertone is. You've got a blue/purple undertone with the mauve, a "cool" color, and you're trying to go to a warm, yellow- and red-based color. Mixing those two can result in general muddiness. Plus suits are always a little iffy for dyeing, since they have all sorts of stuff going on inside the garment. Not all of it appreciates being dunked in hot water. :) Perhaps if you very carefully look at colors and try to go for a more brownish shade?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Rit Dye-- colorfast?

I haven't used this product in years. Can anyone tell me if the color stays? I'm looking to reproduce a uniform and need a particular shade of cotton twill. I can find twill in the right weight, but not the right color....so thought I might try to dye some.

Thoughts?

Honey Doll

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Sorry

Lady Day said:
Ladies, search first. (thanks Kitty T)

Rit has a very comprehensive site, Id suggest checking there.

LD

I did search first...used Rit in the title search, tho and got nothing. Thanks Kitty for pulling these up.

HD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Re: Dying old fabrics, not sure if the old 40s crepe dress I dyed is rayon crepe but it took Dylon dye well. It was a mauve colour with a little fading. I just overdyed it with cold water dye and it helped to even things up.

Also, just to let you know, Dylon have recently changed all their dyes. They no longer come in little round tins and they have deleted some colours altogether - peach, maroon and sea green being the ones I noticed. Curse them! The new packets are all black and it makes it hard to tell what is what.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to be so late replying...

satindoll said:
That's a great tip, Miss 1929! I can't wait to try it. Do you know if it works on 40s rayon crepe? That fabric is notorious for fading.
That is exactly what I used it on! worked great. Be sure to spray lightly, you do not want the fabric to get wet, as it may shrink. Many light sprays instead of a soaking.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, curse them.

Miss Sis said:
Re: Dying old fabrics, not sure if the old 40s crepe dress I dyed is rayon crepe but it took Dylon dye well. It was a mauve colour with a little fading. I just overdyed it with cold water dye and it helped to even things up.

Also, just to let you know, Dylon have recently changed all their dyes. They no longer come in little round tins and they have deleted some colours altogether - peach, maroon and sea green being the ones I noticed. Curse them! The new packets are all black and it makes it hard to tell what is what.

When I needed sea green.. and everyone in the area is out of Rit mint green...

I hate their new packaging.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Stumbled across an idea.

Who has tried fabric dye markers? This sounds like it could have great potential for blending out fading or funky bleach spots. Anyone tried this before??

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Here's a tip i learned when we were dying cotton fabric for quilting..
Soak your item in soda ash first.. You can buy it from dyeing supply places or your local spa/pool place..

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Coral to pink or mauve

I want to dye a coral sweater to make it more pink or mauve. The sweater is cotton and new. Would this work? Or would it end up a muddy color?

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Dying Vintage clothes

Hi all
I found an AMAZING dress in a thrift shop today.
(for $4!!! I KNOW!!)
It is a 1930s (my guess) dress, in some kind of heavyish man made fabric.
Trouble is that it is awfully faded and stained and I feel its impossible to change this.
The fabric however is in good condition, just a couple of tiny holes and it does not feel like it will fall apart anytime soon.
So my plan is to dye it a deep Merlot colour. Something i would not usually do to vintage as i am a stickler for keeping it original.
But it is unwearable otherwise.
So has anyone else been down this road before? Anything i should be aware of?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Never been down that road, except for some small, small patches... But I just wanted to compliment your colour choice and say hello again! :D

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I generally avoid dying things because it scares me, especially previously loved fabrics or garments. You run the risk of an old stain not taking the dye the same way the rest does. HOWEVER since you got this dress for such a steal and it's unwearable as is, I'd say you've got nothing to lose.

The very most important thing you can do is make 100% sure you know what fiber you're working with and pick the dye best suited to that fiber. Chemical and burn testing will help you figure out the fiber (these are easy to do and can be found using a Google search), and I highly recommend Dharma Trading as a source of all the dyes, chemicals, and treatments you'll need to do the job properly. They also have lots of resources to explain the process, and great customer service. Best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran