Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyeing fur felt...A success story

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

About a year or so ago I found a Lagomarsino crushable fur felt fedora cheap at a yard sale, so I picked it up. It has really nice felt. I don't know what kind of South American critters they use, but they sure are soft. It has a medium height crown and a 2 5/8 inch brim with what my Stetson calls a "mode edge". It is the less expensive finishing option, wirh no liner and an elastic cloth sweatband.The only real drawback...the color. A light camel-y tan with a mustard yellow tinge that makes it not look good with anything. I tried cleaning it, thinking it was old nicotine staining, but it seemed to be the color of the felt. I seldom wore it, and after a while, it fell into the role of yard-work and fishing hat. Until a few days ago, when I decided to try dyeing it.
Before: (this photo was taken in bad light, makes felt look more gray than its actual color. Sorry.)
4585cc3b07004808b98de5de0589eb3f.jpg

I had some iDye brand dye for natural fiber in kelly green and brown left over from an old project. I have lots of brown hats but no green ones, so green it was. Well, 2 parts kelly green to one part brown so I could wear it other days than March 17. There were no instructions for fur or wool, so I used the stovetop method listed on the package for silk since it is also a protein fiber, mixing the dye in a 12 qt stockpot. I said a quick apology to the folks who crafted the hat, stuffed it in the pot and turned on the gas. I left the sweatband in, since it wasn't leather. I stirred it well, lifting and repositioning it in the pot so as not to get wrinkles that might give it a tie-dye look. The directions called for bringing it to a simmer and holding it at a simmer for 30 minutes, but I thought that might be a bit harsh on the felt so I brought it up to about 150 degrees (F) before adding acid to fix the dye. The directions called for adding at the beginning, but I forgot, so I added it, stirred a lot more and shut off the gas and covered the pot to hold in te heat for 30 minutes. I rinsed it in clear water 3 times getting out nearly all the excess color in the first rinse, rolled it in a towel to dry it a bit and reblocked it. It did not seem to have shrunk a bit, not even the brim looked any smaller. It took the dye very evenly, and it is just as soft as before. Now, it even seems to have a velvety texture and a shimmer in the sunlight. I dyed a piece of medium brown ribbon in some of the kelly green, and gave it a C crown.

So, without further ado, I present to you:
The Lean Mean Green Argentine!!
bda3b13b095a9e3745b89d8902262a22.jpg

3bdb48f1bc3666ec851f6264f10de629.jpg

Kinda has an Irish Indiana Jones thing going on. Now I might wear it a bit more often.

Kuki

One of the Regulars
Great job! How did the sweatband fare? And... I take it the ribbon and bow are new? Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Looking good, a great 'make over'. You can dye felt hats using hair dye but you've found a good product there.
Felt hats from South America are usually wool, there are a lot of woolly critters down there from, sheep to Alpacas but if you're sure it's fur then rabbit, hare or even guinee pig could be a contender. :rolleyes:
An "Irish Indian Jones thing going on " ..... like it. :cool: Jones is a Welsh name so only a stones throw from the Emerald Isle but Indiana O' Jones does have a ring to it. :D

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Ty everyone!
In response to kuki, the elastic sweatband fared just fine, still nice and stretchy. Ribbon and bow are indeed new.
lean'n'mean- it is fur for sure, way too soft and easy to work to be wool. I was thinking guinea pig might be in it as well. Also maybe chinchilla?
Kingandrew-ty. The ribbon color makes it all work for me too.
Fruno- good logic, but I believe Lagomarsino is a surname, as I remember a doctor that used to practice in my town that had that name. He might have been from S.A. as well, was definately Latino.

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I'm not too worried about the dye coming out in the rain if thats what you meant, Brother Cavefish. When I rinsed it after the dyeing, nearly all excess dye came out the first rinsing. The second and third rinse barely had any color at all. I got the brim pretty wet last night as I was reshaping it and not a bit of green came off on my hands or worktable. Good thing, as I do tend to sweat a lot and would be a little emarrassed if my hat ave me a green head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner