Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dying leather

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
I bought a leather jacket a while back that I really would like to modify to make it more easy on the eyes and less flashy. The jacket is mostly black. That's where the mostly becomes a problem. Some parts like shoulder, elbow patches are... white and I would like to change those to black or at least something darker. What type of dye would you guys recommend? I live in the US so something accessible on this side of the ocean would be nice. Thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have dyed dark leather a darker color, such as brown leather to cordovan and raw leather to cordovan and black, but have not gone from white to black. I would think it would not be that difficult to go from white to black. May not get a perfect match, and may take several applications to get good coverage, but it would be better than the way it is now.

If you have anyone in your area who makes leather goods, such as tack for horses, you might take your jacket to them and see what they say. That's where I normally get my dye. They don't have it for sale, but my leather craftsman just gives me what I need in a small bottle. On a larger job such as your jacket, it might be better to find someone who specializes in leather and see if he would do it for you. The charge would be minimal.

Larger metropolitan areas may have leather supply companies that will carry just about any dye that you would need. Black is basic and easy to find. May even be available at Walmart or large chain shoe stores, such as Redwing. You could talk to a shoe repairman and see where he obtains his dye.

Dye will permeate many thin plastic gloves, such as the ones in first aide kits, so use something thicker and impermeable (voice of experience here).

Hope this has given you some ideas. Good luck with the project. I enjoy working with leather, and this would be job I would not be afraid to tackle. I would, however, first take it to one of our local craftsmen and see what he says.

Bart

Familiar Face
Leather Dye

You can find sources of leather dye on the internet. Also if you are near a Tandy outlet, they have dyes and the other "ingredients" you'd need in the process. Good luck

Bart

Duck

Practically Family
Best leather dye

Fiebings Dye 4 oz USMC Black
2100-01 Permanent spirit-based dye for all your tooling leather projects. Apply with #3445 Wool Daubers or sponge. Finish with #22002 Super Shene.
This is the best black leather dye and you can get it at Tandy's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot