Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Hartman -- Anyone have one? Opinion Needed!

Budajoe

New in Town
Dear all,

Was wondering if anyone on this board might have an Eastman Hartman jacket -- if so, would you mind posting your honest opinion about it, etc.

If you happen to have pics you wearing the jacket, that would be a much welcomed bonus.

Now that Eastman is selling direct to the US, and the $ is now better against the pound, seems like a good deal.

Thanks all,
Budajoe :)

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
nien

doesn't look like they sell many of these things...

i'd be curious as to a buyer's estimate of the jacket as well...if there have been any buyers

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Of course they sell them.
They're pretty popular- have a look around the internet.
Much more of a "Luftwaffe jacket" than Eastman's "Luftwaffe" jacket.
They pop up on eBay every now and again.
I've seen a couple of them- very nice indeed.
Nice period details.

I want one.

B
T

blethook

One of the Regulars
I used to have one...

I had the brown one (cowhide)....but I sold it, with regrets...

It was a great jacket, but it is actually a motorcycle jacket with snug fitting. So chances are you won't be able to put much layerings underneath. If you're overweight there's no chance you're going to look good in it :D

Though it's got some kind of wool plaid lining, it wasn't a warm, winter jacket by design. I think it's more like a fall/autumn jacket.

The pockets were more or less a decoration if I remember correctly as they're quite small. You can still put your wallet/mobile in it, though. But then the same can be said about A-2 jackets...The Riri zippers were awesome, and looks better on the brown jacket, IMO.

If I was to get one (again) I would (again) get the brown one.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I was sent one by HPA to estimate measurements for my A-1. I did like it's look and construction, but I didn't like the way it looked on me. The hide, which was black, seemed thick and soft and looked like it could take on a bit of wrinkling and creasing as time went on. It's finish was somewhat duller or more matte than other jackets I own or have owned.

Sorry no pictures.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
blethook said:
It was a great jacket, but it is actually a motorcycle jacket with snug fitting. So chances are you won't be able to put much layerings underneath. If you're overweight there's no chance you're going to look good in it :D

If I was to get one (again) I would (again) get the brown one.

I'm sure it's been mentioned that the Luftwaffe didn't have an "issue" coat for pilots, like the RAF, and USAAF. They were usually privately purchased motorcycle jackets. So it goes to reason that they would be perfect for that use.

I do think the brown ones have a little more character. Or maybe it's that the black ones remind me of "Sigfried," the bad-guy from KAOS, on the old Get Smart series.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
saY whAt?

Of course they sell them.
They're pretty popular- have a look around the internet.
Much more of a "Luftwaffe jacket" than Eastman's "Luftwaffe" jacket---BellyTank

not sure what you were saying mr. TanK...that there are oTHer Luftwaffe jackets than Eastman's being sold, and offered around the internet?

that is certainly true. i bought one, an amazing Lewis Leathers Dominator, which is verrry similar to the Eastman

but as to the Eastman Luftwaffe jacket, i've seen it sold new on the fliegerjacke website in germany, and on Eastman's own website in the uk, and once on ebay, mark from aero usa selling one for one of his customers...aside from that, the only people who say they have tried them are the two above me in this thread...

glad someone spoke uP...they sound very nice...uh oh, time to loCk up my wallet again...

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
and there you have it...

well, i'm sure it's no consequence if one person on this forum, me, doesn't understand what you're saying in this particular instance...i'm sure many have not understood much of what i've said in the past...possibly even now

cheers

Edward

Bartender
JJ, as I read it, BT is referring to the fact that ELC offer both a Hartmann model and a black jacket simply known as the Luftwaffe Jacket. BT's opinion is that the former is a much more historically accurate piece than the latter.

Budajoe

New in Town
Gents,

Thanks for the responses...It seemed that no one was responding to this thread for a while, and then boom -- 9 responses!!

Thanks for the feedback!!! Should anyone happen to find pics and have the time, please post.

Best to all,
B

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
transLation appreciated

aHa! makes perfect sense after your expert translation. and, in fact, i agree...the hartmann is a pretty exact replica of a specific jacket, whereas the eastman "Luftwaffe" jacket does mix some features to arrive at an iconic look...however, i do prefer the "Luftwaffe" over the hartmann myself

as for pix of this eastman made Luftwafffe jacket, it's sold on the fliegerjacke website under the name of 'messerschmitt' jacket...their pages don't give url's to individual product, but go to the website and you can find many more pix than eastman has of their own jacket:

https://www.original-fliegerjacken.de/

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
my iCon is your cLiche/visa versa

i think we can all agree to disagree on what anyone might consider more of an icon versus someone else's version of an icon

an icon of the best president of the united states for some might be jack kennedy, for the hope and promise he brought...or he might be another's icon for worst, for the...well, you know...all that stuff

Lincoln kept the union together, the 'best president', or he circumvented the Constitution and cynically used a human rights issue to win the war

when it comes to visual icons things get no easier

not that it's as much an issue of importance concerning the most iConic jacket of the third reich's fLyboys...but i'll choose to disagree with your choice...though i'll admit, when it comes to the hartmann, the vote would probably be with your choice...

but that's what it's all about...different points of view...be a shame if we all liked vaniLLa

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
aNd noW, for BuDaJoe...

a message to budajoe, who started this thread...he will certainly understand it, and can share it if he desires>>>

She's gone oh I, oh I'd
Better learn how to face it
She's gone oh I, oh I'd
Pay the devil to replace her
She's gone - what went wrong

She's gone

Think I'll spend eternity in the city
Let the carbon and monoxide choke my thoughts away
And other people's pretty leather jackets help dissolve the memories
But they can never be what she was to me

She's gone

(apologies to Hall and Oates)