Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather G-1 55J14

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hi Otter;

Thanks for your answer :) Well, I'd like to buy a new G1 and right now I'm considering the ELC G-1 and the Cockpit G-1. There are plenty of pictures and info on the Cockpit but almost nothing on the ELC, so I don't know what I would be purchasing. ELC only have a few pics on their website [huh]

I didn't thought about the Real McCoy G1. Did you post any picture of your jacket?

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I used to own both of ELC's 55J14 & M422A. In my opinion both were generously cut compared to the originals & the goatskin used were way too thick compared to the originals. It may be that you'll find these "inaccuracies" in most repros. Why not try to get yourself an original 55J14?

Hi Otter;

Thanks for your answer :) Well, I'd like to buy a new G1 and right now I'm considering the ELC G-1 and the Cockpit G-1. There are plenty of pictures and info on the Cockpit but almost nothing on the ELC, so I don't know what I would be purchasing. ELC only have a few pics on their website [huh]

I didn't thought about the Real McCoy G1. Did you post any picture of your jacket?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Hi,
I used to own both of ELC's 55J14 & M422A. In my opinion both were generously cut compared to the originals & the goatskin used were way too thick compared to the originals. It may be that you'll find these "inaccuracies" in most repros. Why not try to get yourself an original 55J14?

Thanks for the comment :) Was the ELC 55J14 slim fit below the armpits? Do you remember if the leather was any supple? I have an ELC A-2 in goatskin and the leather is extremely stiff.

Did you like anything in particular about this jacket?

Why not try to get yourself an original 55J14?

It is difficult to find a vintage one that fits you and it is in good condition.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I had an ELC 55J14 afew years ago but have sold it; I found it to be made of thick goatskin that was stiiff at first but eventually broke in. Great details, excellent workmanship. Quite form-fitting but not overly restrictive. Just size up if you prefer more room. I now have an ELC repro Gordon & Ferguson M-422A in size 44 Long. It also was of a stiff and thick goatskin but is broken in nicely now after lots of wear. Nice details and quite accurate when I compared it to an original G&F M-422A. My favorite G-1 currently is my Cockpit G-1 made of their gorgeous vintage goatskin. While afew details are not 100% accurate, the jacket is amazing! Very comfortable to wear even when new and it looks great. You can't go wrong with a good quality G-1/M-422A! Good luck.

pauleway

Practically Family
I have the Cockpit Vintage G-1, and love it. The goatskin is soft and has just a hint of weathering on it and the smalller collar that I prefer. I would recommend a size up unless you are only going to wear a T-shirt under it. I also have an original Ralph Edwards 1962 G-1 and I like the Cockpit over that one too!

pauleway

Practically Family

L'Onset

Familiar Face

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran