Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay issue

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
So I bought an eastman Californian from a seller with positive feedback that is still active. They are in great Britain so they used the global shipping program. Well today I received the package, when I grabbed it off the porch I saw that it was very poorly wrapped, there was a hole in the box so that I could see right in. I immediately knew something was wrong. I opened it up and found an old pair of timberland boots and a blue hoodie sweatshirt. Wtf. I immediately took photos and did a return stating that I did not receive the item I bought. I talked to an Ebay representative and she assured me that it would be resolved. The seller responded and is baffled swearing that they sent the Eastman leather jacket. I am wandering how Ebay will handle this if the seller says they did ship the jacket. I actually think that because of the poor packaging that someone at the global shipping program could have taken the jacket and put this b.s. in its place. I am curious if Ebay has had this issue in the past.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

seres

A-List Customer
I've heard bad feedback on the Ebay Global Shipping program. Good luck with the resolution.

Colin G

One Too Many
Happens all the time with Global shipping. The item gets sent to a distribution centre in the USA where it gets redirected on a cheaper carrier, sometimes even being repackaged so they save cash on shipping whih is kind of shady. Some thieving SOB took your jacket and stuffed it with his dirty work clothes.

Ebay does does that Global Shipping scam to Canada also and I had a package show up minus the Persol sunglasses that were supposed to be inside. My mailman and I chat sometimes and I happened to open the box while talking to him so he posed for some photos with an empty box and I sent those to ebay along with my complaint.

The seller had good feedback and he said ebay will reimburse him no issues so he sent my refund back asap. If ebay was so quick to offer cash back this must happen very frequently.

The global import charges they assault you with are also very inflated (to Canada anyway) so ebay must make good cash off of it to keep going even with them writing off stolen goods.

I was very lucky to receive my jacket from UK via GSP...When the seller emailed me they sent it via GSP I was worried, but it all worked out ok.
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I had an Eastman A-2 sent From UK to OZ via GSP, it took a month to arrived, not very very well packaged but thankfully with no damage. I was freaking out though as I read so many horror stories about this shipping method.
I won’t buy through it again.

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
eBay’s GSP sucks for both buyers and sellers. I’ve been listing more lately and considered using it as a seller but unfortunate incidents like yours is one reason I will not. Especially for the jackets and shoes I’ve been listing, there’s no way I’m going to use it. Even if I’m protected as a seller, I don’t want to subject an eager buyer to a potential GSP screwing. It has limited my reach to international customers and potential extra money, but it is nickel and dimes compared to the hassle should something go wrong.
When I search for items to purchase on eBay it’s also one of the first things I look for in the listing. If the seller is using GSP, I will not bid. There are exceptions, of course but I can’t remember the last time I made one.

I am sorry that this has happened to you.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sure sorry to hear about this, and I hope it is resolved quickly. I have always done international shipments myself, in-person at the post office, and part of that is simply to try and help resolve this type of this occurring. But it's not foolproof.

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
I bought this on November the 11th by the way, so I waited 3 weeks. I dont think I will buy from out of the u.s. anymore

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There are sellers who do not use the GSP ‘program’ who are happy to ship directly in a safe and secure manner. You could always check the listing to see if the shipping is via the GSP, then run the other way if that’s how it will ship.

Last edited:

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
Happens all the time with Global shipping. The item gets sent to a distribution centre in the USA where it gets redirected on a cheaper carrier, sometimes even being repackaged so they save cash on shipping whih is kind of shady. Some thieving SOB took your jacket and stuffed it with his dirty work clothes.

Ebay does does that Global Shipping scam to Canada also and I had a package show up minus the Persol sunglasses that were supposed to be inside. My mailman and I chat sometimes and I happened to open the box while talking to him so he posed for some photos with an empty box and I sent those to ebay along with my complaint.

The seller had good feedback and he said ebay will reimburse him no issues so he sent my refund back asap. If ebay was so quick to offer cash back this must happen very frequently.

The global import charges they assault you with are also very inflated (to Canada anyway) so ebay must make good cash off of it to keep going even with them writing off stolen goods.

There is also no way for a seller to turn off GSP at the profile level. When a seller creates a new listing, eBay conveniently (for them) has that option selected by default - the seller has to remember to uncheck that option. For every. Single. New listing. I’ve read in the eBay forums, among the endless threads about how bad GSP is, about sellers who offered GSP without even realizing it until after the listing went live and ended.

Last edited:

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Never use eBay GSP, nor any commercial express services/carriers.
For any international shipments always prefer only national mail companies like USPS, Royal Mail, Canadian Post, Australian Post, Deutsche Post etc. EMS Post is a very good option too.
eBay GSP? No, thanks! Never again.

Last edited:

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I have always done international shipments myself, in-person at the post office.
It's the only best way. It's how best sellers do. It's much less expensive and much more reliable for both, a seller and a buyer. It's always much faster shipping. Always prefer such sellers! Cheers Randy!)

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
Agreed. For overseas shipments it’s how I’ve always done it. If my POs didn’t have such long queues all the time, I’d do it more often!

Desperandum

New in Town
I'm an infrequent seller but regular buyer on eBay. I've had quite enough problems both ways, even with UK transactions, and I will not now buy or sell outside this country. With the reduction in UK Post Office services and locations, sending by Royal Mail is less convenient, but I always use them. Outside eBay, I sometimes buy from the USA, and USPS comes through (eventually). The import costs are, however, grotesquely expensive.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Bought a beautiful suede jacket a while back. While being repacked at a GSP station, someone decided he liked the jacket, flagged the package as forbidden content and had ebay refund me my money (which was only a fraction of the jackets actual value). Turned my good deal into someone elses good deal. Not using GSP anymore. Trying to avoid ebay alltogether.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Not that you can do anything about it but keep an eye on eBay. When I had a jacket disappear during GSP transit it showed up on there for sale again about two weeks later in the location where the tracking for it ended.

Colin G

One Too Many
There is also no way for a seller to turn off GSP at the profile level. When a seller creates a new listing, eBay conveniently (for them) has that option selected by default - the seller has to remember to uncheck that option. For every. Single. New listing. I’ve read in the eBay forums, among the endless threads about how bad GSP is, about sellers who offered GSP without even realizing it until after the listing went live and ended.

I buy international items and some sellers don't use it. I even asked a seller to turn it off once so I could buy an item and not get gouged by GS.

I sold items recently and had no global shipping attached to my ad and I ship worldwide. As seller just remember to turn it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko