Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EBAY STRATOLINER WARNING!!

J.B.

Practically Family
Nice Post, homergeg! :)

Welcome to tFL. Plop a lid on your head, and keep posting! The secret to staying solvent here is to sell more hats than you buy!!! :D

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome, Homergeg. Your post is very much appreciated and your graciousness every bit as much. There's hats for everyone...somewhere. One your size will find you. And then another. And another. And another. And another. ...

dean

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I apologize for perhaps overreacting Homergeg, but I have been shafted by this before. I am puzzled at the shipping costs and how they are figured. I recently bought a fairly heavy hat, 3 inch brim and 6 inch crown, came with a box which was put in another box and sent to me for $15.00. So that is why I thought it was an over charge. But I apologize as you are obviously a honest seller. Hope there are no hard feelings, but we here at the lounge do tend to try and look out for each other.

fedoralover

deanglen

fedoralover said:
I apologize for perhaps overreacting Homergeg, but I have been shafted by this before. I am puzzled at the shipping costs and how they are figured. I recently bought a fairly heavy hat, 3 inch brim and 6 inch crown, came with a box which was put in another box and sent to me for $15.00. So that is why I thought it was an over charge. But I apologize as you are obviously a honest seller. Hope there are no hard feelings, but we here at the lounge do tend to try and look out for each other.

fedoralover

:eusa_clap

dean

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Homergreg!

I told ya this is a great group of people! A bit zealous in looking out for each other, but that's not a bad thing. And, as demonstrated by Fedoralover, gracious as well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bartenders, it appears to me that our new member has made a typo in his user name. His ebay user name and email are homergreg. Is there any way this can be corrected should he so desire?

Cheers,
Tom

nulty

One of the Regulars
The online world can be a great place.....Homergreg points out well that what the USPS did was to adjust cost to the dimension of a piece . They want a bigger piece of the pie in regard to shipping of material from online auctions and such but geez who's going to want to ship at those rates.

USPS has automated to such a point that IMO they want to handle only specific sizes in envelopes and boxes. Therein lies the profit margin. They also have the biggest overhead of the major shippers and in this day in age reducing expense is the name of the game.

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
I recently mailed a Western hat in a hat box within a shipping box. USPS wanted 30.00 Priority...Just to see (and in shock), I went to UPS and shipped the hat for 10.99.

deanglen

Tango Yankee said:
I told ya this is a great group of people! A bit zealous in looking out for each other, but that's not a bad thing. And, as demonstrated by Fedoralover, gracious as well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Bartenders, it appears to me that our new member has made a typo in his user name. His ebay user name and email are homergreg. Is there any way this can be corrected should he so desire?

Cheers,
Tom

Homergeg, a.k.a. Homergreg should e-mail MK and he can fix it right up.
MK@thefedoralounge.com

dean

homergeg

New in Town
thanks everyone

I really appreciate the kind words. I absolutely never had any hard feelings, as it was my mistake not to check out the shipping calculator for farther our zip codes on a box size I hadn't sold in quite a while.

I was very apprehensive posting as I can't stand those who spam boards with their wares, and that is not my goal. I sometimes ask questions on boards investigating what I might pick up, but never mention my listings. I just wanted to clear up what happened, share what I had learned and thank all who helped me out.

I'll get that email out to fix my userid!

Geg :eusa_doh:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
homergeg said:
I was very apprehensive posting as I can't stand those who spam boards with their wares, and that is not my goal. I sometimes ask questions on boards investigating what I might pick up, but never mention my listings.

Greg,

The answer to that here is the Classifieds. You can post a notice there if you have an auction of interest (say, another hat! :p ), or something to sell outright.

Cheers,
Tom

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
My post office (I have to drive 45 miles to get there!) says that the box is 16.5 inches, so they put the measurements as 16*14*6. The local post office puts the measurements as 17*15*6 ($7.10 to Zone 8) or 17*15*7 ($25.05 Priority, $21.40 Express). I kindly thank them and leave if they try to charge me $25.05. When I tried to charge $16.99 S/H on ebay, the ebay police (You know who you are!) threw my auctions off. Heck, the box costs $3.00 plus itself.

L

Laurence

You should be ashamed of yourself

fatwoul said:
fedoralover: eBay vigilante. :D

Good work, fl. I hope the bidder reads this.

eBay scams really annoy me, because the victims are unseen; sure, they could be some rich know-nothing who maybe has it coming, but they could just as easily be some poor old lady trying to buy her grandkids a present.

I don't mean to suggest that some scams are OK, depending on the victim, but you know what I mean - the rich know-nothing can afford the loss more than the poor old lady.
Your whole thought is foolish, no one deserves to get ripped off.

deanglen

Laurence said:
Your whole thought is foolish, no one deserves to get ripped off.

Laurence, a careful re-reading of Fatwould's post indicates that he is not advocating ripping anyone off:

"I don't mean to suggest that some scams are OK, depending on the victim, but you know what I mean - the rich know-nothing can afford the loss more than the poor old lady."(quoted from post in question)

He is stating the point of view that a wealthy person can absorb the loss to a greater degree than someone of more modest means. But in neither case did he state that dishonesty was acceptable. His remark about "some rich know-nothing who maybe has it coming" is probably a phrase he might have thought better of. A PM could have addressed that issue.

Perhaps you should consider a PM when you feel as strongly as you did about his posting and adopt a tone with words to the effect of, "I may have misunderstood you, surely you were not advoacting fraud." to which I'm sure Fatwoul would assure you in no uncertain terms that was not the case. It behooves all members of the Lounge to put the best construction on a fellow Lounger's posting and question them tactfully when uncertain about the reference or substance of their posting.

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
Welcome aboard homergreg!

Please sojurn with us awhile. You'll like the people here.

I hadn't looked at this thread since page one and must say that I am very impressed by your willingness to enter the potential lion's den. You couldn't have known how this would go.

I'd also like to commend everyone else for the grace and decorum evidenced in the many posts. I wish I could say that I've always been moderate in my posts but that wouldn't be true. Congratulations to all.

I'd be remiss if I failed to thank deanglen for his gentle mentoring throughout the thread.

Thanks to all, :eusa_clap

Carter

:fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy