Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eddie Bauer Kara Koram 1960's or 70's

leather.be

One of the Regulars
Interest Check, PM if seriously interested. $650 USD plus shipping from Canada.

This thing is incredibly warm, well built, classic, and rare. They don't come around with the custom fur collar ever. This one is in particularly good condition. The down is still perfectly lofty. There's an original owners name printed on a tag in the pocket. One of the buttons on the front is broken but that is the only flaw. There are a few minor stains that would likely come out with professional cleaning. I would recommend a trip to the dry cleaners although this is in clean wearable condition. The side slash pockets are excellent hand warmers. You really cannot find a higher quality down jacket. The Real McCoys makes a very good repro of this for a much higher price, sans fur collar. I'm probably a fool to want to sell it but my style changes faster than I can keep up with. Luckily this jacket will never go out of style.

Note: the fur collar is wet in this photo as I just came in from light snow. It has even more loft to it when dry.

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_180557834.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231201_180557834.MP.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 132
  • PXL_20231201_181414936.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181414936.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 134
  • PXL_20231201_181401086.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181401086.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20231201_181351956.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181351956.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20231201_181338979.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181338979.MP.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20231201_181334907.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181334907.MP.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 110
  • PXL_20231201_181327898.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181327898.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20231201_181253270.jpg
    PXL_20231201_181253270.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20231201_180604783.jpg
    PXL_20231201_180604783.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138

leather.be

One of the Regulars
Thanks for considering! It's a Holy Grail jacket to many as Saunders put it. But it wasn't to me. Had I the brand to sell it for more I would have. If I find one in Olive or red that'll be a different story. I didn't expect him to list it quite so high (more like $1500) but as I only paid $100 for it new, I still got a good deal selling it to him.

christian-h

One of the Regulars
Ah, now I rember your entry from my sales thread when I listed my McCoy' parka!

I'm on the hunt for one myself and I keep you noted if I find one in your size.

Take care!

christian-h

One of the Regulars
Interesting. I have this Nigel Cabourn x Eddie Bauer Kara Koram parka from 2013, in near mint condition. I wonder how much it would go for.

View attachment 570111
It's for sure a fine jacket, however, I wouldn't compare it to vintage Eddie Bauer. Is it made in China? My interest in Eddie Bauer is only in their vintage jackets, especially the "Sun Down labels" (50-70s). It's a different breed and I would argue that many fans of Eddie Bauer would agree.

With that beeing said: I think your jacket still would fetch around $400 (I would be willing to pay that money for a jacket like that). What's interesting is that this particular vintage jacket sold for $250 more... That's insane if you think about it. A 60 year old jacket, produced in a way that's probably impossible to replicate today, in a splendid condition, built for the expedition of K2.

747A46B9-F872-4A6D-8391-855FE5B37571.png

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Wow, gross ass price gouging. Vintage resellers are kind of scummy, eh?

Not really, no. We create the demand with our obsessive search for rarity, things that have personal outsized value to us for whatever reason (nostalgia, personal connection, etc), or the perception, real or false, of better quality, etc.

It's no wonder secondary markets arise, but in the end they don't really deprive anyone of anything they really need or can't find for better prices if we are willing to put in the work and patience to procure them.

I used to flip musical instruments (electric basses, the instrument I play), not strictly to make money but to allow me to play them, and get to know how they looked, felt, and sounded, and to eventually end up having traded up to a few special instruments that I kept and still treasure. But during the process of acquisition of these grail pieces, I sold a lot of stuff for decent profits, because I could recognise undervalued pieces for sale, because I spent a lot of time searching and so could recognise and get in early when good deals sprang up, and because I got very lucky a few times. But I never lied about, nor knowingly misrepresented or exaggerated the details, that is what is scummy and deserves criticism, in my moral framework.

Last edited:

jchance

One of the Regulars
It's for sure a fine jacket, however, I wouldn't compare it to vintage Eddie Bauer. Is it made in China? My interest in Eddie Bauer is only in their vintage jackets, especially the "Sun Down labels" (50-70s). It's a different breed and I would argue that many fans of Eddie Bauer would agree.

With that beeing said: I think your jacket still would fetch around $400 (I would be willing to pay that money for a jacket like that). What's interesting is that this particular vintage jacket sold for $250 more... That's insane if you think about it. A 60 year old jacket, produced in a way that's probably impossible to replicate today, in a splendid condition, built for the expedition of K2.

View attachment 570161

Nigel Cabourn’s main line stuff is all made in England, including this collab piece. This piece has a wool lined hood.

I have an offer to sell it for $450. I have no use for it being in LA, but I feel like I’m undervaluing it in light of this Saunders price.

Last edited:

AHP91

Practically Family
Not really, no. We create the demand with our obsessive search for rarity, things that have personal outsized value to us for whatever reason (nostalgia, personal connection, etc), or the perception, real or false, of better quality, etc.

It's no wonder secondary markets arise, but in the end they don't really deprive anyone of anything they really need or can't find for better prices if we are willing to put in the work and patience to procure them.

I used to flip musical instruments (electric basses, the instrument I play), not strictly to make money but to allow me to play them, and get to know how they looked, felt, and sounded, and to eventually end up having traded up to a few special instruments that I kept and still treasure. But during the process of acquisition of these grail pieces, I sold a lot of stuff for decent profits, because I could recognise undervalued pieces for sale, because I spent a lot of time searching and so could recognise and get in early when good deals sprang up, and because I got very lucky a few times. But I never lied about, nor knowingly misrepresented or exaggerated the details, that is what is scummy and deserves criticism, in my moral framework.

Professional reseller/vintage store logic:

**ooh here's a Buco leather jacket, very rare, very collecticble. Let's sell

Check prices for jackets that remain unsold: Asking price is $2,925 plus shipping

**This Buco jacket is super rare, dates to 1940s (actually dates to early 1960s)
** This Buco jacket is in good vintage condition for age (has a hole in the shoulder, torn lining, replaced main zipper, cracking shoulder)
**Here are the measurements (improperly lists measurements of the chest, takes a bizarre measurement diagonally from the shoulder to the bottom left corner of the jacket)

**Now we wait, profit hehe. Since you've viewed this offer on ebay, here's a discount for 55 dollars off my asking price.

Now we wait, hehe. Collectible leather is good

Observe

One Too Many

Check prices for jackets that remain unsold: Asking price is $2,925 plus shipping

**This Buco jacket is super rare, dates to 1940s (actually dates to early 1960s)
** This Buco jacket is in good vintage condition for age (has a hole in the shoulder, torn lining, replaced main zipper, cracking shoulder)
**Here are the measurements (improperly lists measurements of the chest, takes a bizarre measurement diagonally from the shoulder to the bottom left corner of the jacket)

**Now we wait, profit hehe. Since you've viewed this offer on ebay, here's a discount for 55 dollars off my asking price.

Oof, painfully accurate lol.

leather.be

One of the Regulars
Yeah,

View attachment 570161

Pretty much what happened in this case haha.

leather.be

One of the Regulars
Nigel Cabourn’s main line stuff is all made in England, including this collab piece. This piece has a wool lined hood.

I have an offer to sell it for $450. I have no use for it being in LA, but I feel like I’m undervaluing it in light of this Saunders price.
Nice jacket no doubt. But the one I sold is much more historically relevant and is in fact a bit of a collector's item. Although I think it's just going to be bought by a guy who wants a cool jacket. (There are cooler jackets out there than that Eddie Bauer parka) I would never pay the price Saunders is asking personally though. For your jacket, yeah $450 seems fair. I would buy one of their Everest parkas in red if I could find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner