Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edith Piaf article in current New Yorker

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely, long article about Edith Piaf in the current issue of the New Yorker (June 25, 2007), by Judith Thurman and entitled "French Blues." One nice photo. It defines la chanson realiste as "a Gallic version of the blues made popular at the turn of the last century by melancholy music-hall artists," an interesting conceptualization I had not considered. Apparently there is a new film biography, rather predictably entitled La Vie en Rose, although I thought that title (in addition to being the name of one of her songs) had been used a few years ago for a film about a homosexual boy. The article also brings in other things like French racial nervousness, discusses Edith's father (a contortionist -- really), her utterly socially low origins, her training into a proper chanteuse, her many loves, her drinking. I've always been a big fan of Piaf, and this article intrigued me even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred