Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New "Murder On the Orient Express" article and interview with Christie's grandson

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
PBS in the US will broadcast David Suchet in a new version of "Murder on the Orient Express" on July 11th. I wrote an article on it and interviewed Dame Christie's grandson Mathew Pritchard. The link is to the magazine:

http://www.wqln.org/main/lake erie lifestyle/editions/10_07/magazine.aspx

For all of us Lounger's, I am pasting here the unedited interview with Pritchard for your enjoyment.

1. How did the 1974 version of “Murder on the Orient Express” impact Dame Agatha’s career and legacy?

The appearance of the 1974 film was in many ways a seminal moment in the visual interpretation of Agatha Christie. Never before (except perhaps the Witness for the Prosecution film, directed by Billy Wilder with Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich) had such an all start cast of actors, directors, scriptwriters etc assembled and played Agatha Christie straight with such staggering success, not only critically but financially. As you know, the movie industry is easily led by success (and failure!) and it is possible to argue that this one film was instrumental in making possible all the visual development in the 1970s and 1980s that followed.

2. What were the thoughts about the attempt to modernize Poirot in the 2001 American TV version of “Murder on the Orient Express” starring Alfred Molina?

With the benefit of hindsight, I am not sure this interpretation was a success. "Updating" is a controversial topic in any event, and I think if we use it at all it is more successful with titles that do not feature Poirot or Marple - q.v. two Warner TV movies of the 1980s, Murder is Easy and Sparkling Cyanide which I have always felt were underrated.

3. David Suchet‘s “Poirot” series is, in the minds of many, the definitive portrayal of the detective. However, the scripts often deviated from Christie’s original work. The scriptwriters not only added in characters not always present, like Capt. Hastings and Miss Lemon, but also significantly changed the plots. What is your reaction to those changes?

I would prefer to replace the word "often" with "sometimes" in your question! If you aspire to employ top quality scriptwriters and directors (in particular, but actors too) it is not sufficient simply to produce rigid reproductions of the work. There has to be an element of surprise and innovation to hold a modern audience's attention - the trick is to do this in such a way as to retain the brand image of Agatha Christie. With David Suchet's help I think we have achieved this with some success, though I will admit to some nervous moments. There was a time when the producers felt that Poirot worked better visually with Hastings, Japp or Miss Lemon, though we do not do it any longer.

In our defence, my grandmother often did it herself (e.g. Black Coffee and The Hollow). She also, occasionally, changed her own plots to fit different circumstances like stage plays.

4. I have not yet seen the new version of “Murder.” How far, if at all, does it stray from the original book? How much say does The Estate have on such matters?

I think you will find the new Orient Express differs considerably from either of its two predecessors. It keeps pretty much to the book but there are additions and subtractions, particularly at the beginning. To whet your appetite, the film emphasises my grandmother's long-held view that murderers should be brought to justice.

5. Does the new version improve/correct changes made for the 1974 film? What would Dame Agatha have thought of it?

I repeat, almost no film is an exact reproduction of the book on which it is based. I have too much respect for my grandmother's genius to predict what she would have thought, but I can tell you that she loved the 1974 version, which was almost the last adaptation of her work that she saw. So, it will be a hard act to follow.

6. Will fans be pleased by this version of “Murder on the Orient Express?” Will it generate a “which version is better” debate between those who love the 1974 version and this one?

I have no doubt as usual that some will and some won't! As far as the second part of the question is concerned I am sure it will, and quite right too! It is to my mind a tribute to my grandmother's genius that debates of this nature are so frequent!

7. Finally, what is it about “Murder on the Orient Express” that makes it so appealing? It has been a consistent best-seller, made into 3 movies, one video game, a graphic novel.

I am tempted to say because it is a rattling good story. Leaving aside the adaptations that you mention, the book sells consistently well and I have never met anybody, from the ages of about 11 to 90, who has not enjoyed it and wanted to read more Agatha Christie. It has originality, tension, a strong appeal to moral rectitude and a whodunit element - what more can you ask for?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
You will definitely not find the new version cheesy or over-the-top.

Also keep your eye out this month on PBS for a special called "David Suchet on the Orient Express." He rides the famous train and stays in the same car that Poirot does in the story. Suchet is totally charming and stylish. A really great show that traces the route and the history of the Orient Express.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
2389-588x398.jpg

"Looks rather Super!"

[YOUTUBE]t0KhaKurWQA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1m5j_Nwq-V0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I Fully intend to watch this older version

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
When you watch the new version on July 11th, please post your thoughts...
Suchet opened up Poirot this go around. He was much more emotional; speaking harshly, throwing hissy-fits, dropping to his knees in prayer, etc........not sure I liked that. It certainly was disconcerting.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Suchet opened up Poirot this go around. He was much more emotional; speaking harshly, throwing hissy-fits, dropping to his knees in prayer, etc........not sure I liked that.

Agreed. One the few Poirot episodes I didn't really care for...

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Suchet opened up Poirot this go around. He was much more emotional; speaking harshly, throwing hissy-fits, dropping to his knees in prayer, etc........not sure I liked that. It certainly was disconcerting.[/QUOTE

Except that the Catholic aspect is in keeping with the Poirot character. In "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe", Poirot states that he is "a good Catholic." He also attends a mass in one of the stories. While not keeping exactly to the "Murder" story, I thought it added great depth to the idea of good and evil, and punishment of crime.

As for the rest, Suchet is older and the character is aging with him. Poirot is becoming the character Christie despised and wanted to kill off. I do miss the light-hearted earlier stories but time has moved on as has Poirot. What a boring thing would it be if he remained exactly the same. Even if we do not approve of all of the changes, it keeps Poirot interesting.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I personally thought it one of the best Poirot movie adaptations yet. Enough changes to remain interesting, but not enough to make one wonder what story one’s watching. I’ll always enjoy the early adaptations for their elegance and beauty, but Poirot himself was too one dimensional for my tastes; not at all the way I envisioned him from the books.

His emotionalism in this latest offering was unexpected, but to me quite welcome, and much more realistic. I’m looking forward to seeing how Suchet continues to develop the character in the upcoming adaptations. I must admit I’m getting anxious for it to be Sunday.

And, I might add, a fantastic article and interview Mr. Sheridan. Thank you for posting it.

- B.J. Hedberg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MOTOE was brilliant, moving, emotional. It took what has become the primary mystery cliche, the locked room mystery, and turned it into a study in justice. I was thoroughly impressed.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
What a boring thing would it be if he remained exactly the same. Even if we do not approve of all of the changes, it keeps Poirot interesting.
Sorry Brian, but I prefer the characters be somewhat constant and the stories keep me interested. [huh] Isn't that what AC did with Poirot? And he was pretty much half her life's work........

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Wait, that mustache is false!

My world just collapsed.:eusa_doh:

Binkie, don't bother with the older version if you see the new one. It's like comparing "The Maltese Falcon" to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

My take, as improperly posted elsewhere, was that this version was absolutely stunning. The use of light and color, the crimson flashbacks, and Suchet's portrayal of a broken Poirot who must abandon his principles was incredible. The scene that really got me was the contrast of Ratchett's prayer and Poirot's prayer.

If you missed it, hunt it down like you are seeking oxygen and watch it. It was the best Poirot I've seen yet.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Crud! I saw this in passing at my inlaws on Sunday, and didn’t realize it wasn’t the version I’ve already seen. If I’d have known it was freshly produced, I’d have insisted we watch it (or gone home to watch it alone!).

Any chance it will be on the air again soon?

-Dave

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Crud! I saw this in passing at my inlaws on Sunday, and didn’t realize it wasn’t the version I’ve already seen. If I’d have known it was freshly produced, I’d have insisted we watch it (or gone home to watch it alone!).

Any chance it will be on the air again soon?

-Dave

Available on DVD on July 25th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner