Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Don't know if this has been done before but) Movies so Traumatizing You Could Only Watch It Once.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As I age, I realize I've seen some great movies in my life. Films that affected me greatly and struck me to the core. I've also come to realize that there are some I can only watch once. Every time these films come up again on TCM or some streaming service I have to pass them by. While I admire them... I simply cannot relive said trauma again. Here's a list off the top of my head.

"12 Years a Slave" - A wonderful film. Well made but too traumatizing to watch once more.

"Storm Warning" - My Mom wouldn't let me watch it as a child. I finally saw it as an adult and realized why.

"Mississippi Burning" - Same reasons as No. 1.

"Come and See" - Perhaps the rawest depiction of the hell of war ever made.

"Shindler's List" - For obvious reasons.

"Do the Right Thing" - I lived through this while growing up in the Projects of NY City. No need to reopen that wound. Google Clifford Glover.

"Judas and the Black Messiah" - Been there done that in REAL time.

"Salo" - Some things people aren't meant to see.

As you can tell most of these have to do with racism in America. Problem is I watched the Civil Rights Marches and assassinations' in real time. It's just something you carry and cannot shake.

Worf

EngProf

Practically Family
Could not get all the way through "Eraserhead" the first time, so seeing it again is DEFINITELY out of the question.

Edward

Bartender
Joker was like that for some I know who have had familial experience of a close relative with significant mental health issues of a similar nature.

For the last several years I've done a screening of The Eichmann Show https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4163668/?the-eichmann-show for my students studying the law regulating media reportage of the justice process. It covers very well the issues surrounding the televising of the 1961 trial of Adolf Eichmann in Israel - the first trial anywhere in the world to be filmed and broadcast. A significant part of the "open justice debate". Also has a broader place in history, as this was how the world saw those images of the death camps for the first time - and it was *after* this, in 1962, that the term "Holocaust" was coined, and the cultural understanding of this all as a single event as such came to be. A very well made film, but when they come to those scenes right to the end where they show the death camp footage (the film uses the actual footage, not created footage), it's always a hard watch, and you can really feel the atmosphere in the classroom change. I imagine a lot of them don't seek it out for a rewatch.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Joker was like that for some I know who have had familial experience of a close relative with significant mental health issues of a similar nature.

For the last several years I've done a screening of The Eichmann Show https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4163668/?the-eichmann-show for my students studying the law regulating media reportage of the justice process. It covers very well the issues surrounding the televising of the 1961 trial of Adolf Eichmann in Israel - the first trial anywhere in the world to be filmed and broadcast. A significant part of the "open justice debate". Also has a broader place in history, as this was how the world saw those images of the death camps for the first time - and it was *after* this, in 1962, that the term "Holocaust" was coined, and the cultural understanding of this all as a single event as such came to be. A very well made film, but when they come to those scenes right to the end where they show the death camp footage (the film uses the actual footage, not created footage), it's always a hard watch, and you can really feel the atmosphere in the classroom change. I imagine a lot of them don't seek it out for a rewatch.
John Huston filmed archival concentration camp scenes for his documentary Testament.
He remarked its production to allay future doubt as to veracity of the Nazi extermination effort. Grim.

steve u

A-List Customer
I agree with "Come and See". It should be required watching for some people.
How about "Blood Meridian", the most gruesome book that's been tried at least twice to be put on film and failed.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure there are some others I could think of if I put some effort in, but most recently Killers of the Flower Moon, for two reasons: the disgraceful (and awfully true) narrative of native Americans being exploited for oil money, and for the excruciating length of the film that should have been edited by half.

Nobert

Practically Family
"Dancer in the Dark" I really think Von Trier enjoys making audiences feel bad.
"Yellow Submarine." Like giving a seven-year-old kid a bad acid trip.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I'm sure there are some others I could think of if I put some effort in, but most recently Killers of the Flower Moon, for two reasons: the disgraceful (and awfully true) narrative of native Americans being exploited for oil money, and for the excruciating length of the film that should have been edited by half.
I haven't seen this yet, up me alley with petroleum so theres a professional link. I get a feel about it though whisper
a sickening bit of much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner