Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elastic in fabrics and clothes

mnp13

New in Town
When was elastic commonly incorporated into clothing? I'm trying to help my "girls" find correct clothes for our next calendar, and I'm finding it easiest to point out "markers" for them.

For example, an easy tell for a true vintage bathing suit is if it zips up instead of pulls on. (Yes, I know that all of you already know this ;) )

How about elastic in waist bands?

Plastic vs. Bakelite?

any other easy "tells" that you can think of?

THANKS!

Michelle

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have seen elasticated Victorian corsets, so it was used in clothing for a while.

I don't recall seeing any waist bands of this early on, but I do have a 1929-1930 pattern that calls for elastic in the sleeve bottom.

My mom did have elastic underwear during WWII, that fell off...in the street. This may be why it wasn't popular for waist bands, perhaps it wasn't reliable enough?

Corky

Practically Family
The earliest mention of elastic that I recall...

The earliest mention of elastic that I recall was in a National Geographic article on an examination of the graves of the fallen left behind by Sir John Franklin's 1845 Expedition to find the North West Passage.

The frozen bodies were essentially mummified and in an amazing state of preservation. But what was remarkable was that some of the clothing in the graves had been made with elastic, which the writer of the article remarked was a surprise to him.

Not the National Geographic story, but more information than you might ever want or need.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The boots we know as Chelsea boots - midcalf height, with elastic inlays - were introduced as "Congress gaiters" in the mid 19th century and were very popular thru the last half of the century.
chelsea-boot.jpg

No idea where the name came from; perhaps "Congress" was a tradename.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR