Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC B-3 beginner's question

D-503

Familiar Face
I just bought a used Eastman B-3 from a fellow FLer. It's a wonderful jacket, great condition, very warm!

This is kind of a silly beginner's question, but what kind of leather is used in the areas not covered in horsehide? How durable is it? It feels much flimsier (although still sturdy) than the horsehide coverings.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
D-503 said:
I just bought a used Eastman B-3 from a fellow FLer. It's a wonderful jacket, great condition, very warm!

This is kind of a silly beginner's question, but what kind of leather is used in the areas not covered in horsehide? How durable is it? It feels much flimsier (although still sturdy) than the horsehide coverings.
Since it is shearling, I suppose it is sheepskin. I've a Schott B-3 and that is how my jacket is constructed. I defer to Eastman owners however as the question is addressed to them.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes it is definitely sheepskin. The horsehide was used to protect the arms which tend to get most wear. Sheepskin was of course used for warmth, but is quite durable-but avoid barbed wire fences!

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Yes, absolutely it is sheepskin. It's basically an inside-out leather jacket. The outer flesh of the sheepskin (with the hair on) is against the body of the wearer while inner side of the sheepskin is the jacket outer surface.

Hopefully that helps complete the answer your question!

Noel

Mark P

Familiar Face
Yes, it's a sheep turned inside out. I have an Eastman B6 which does without the horsehide reinforcements, but it's proved to be very durable.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
B 3 Beginner

We are all beginners, but don't be discouraged as I was, I regretted selling mine, but bought a new one after many years..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails