Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Oh, I had NO idea this was coming out.
I really enjoyed Cate Blanchett in 'Elizabeth'.
How marvelous that they are taking Elizabeth's
story further & more in depth!

Thank you for posting this.

imoldfashioned said:
I saw a preview for "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" while waiting for "Becoming Jane" and I can't wait for October 12 when this movie is being released. Cate Blanchett looks like she's going to be amazing in this role and Clive Owen plays Raleigh. The costumes look fabulous (and Cate is in armor for a scene or two!). I'm really looking forward to this one.

Trailers can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vITxj7Tq4f4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meCoQ2u_oV0&mode=related&search=

Hondo

One Too Many
OMG! Thank you for posting this, I just love Cate Blanchett in 'Elizabeth' and this is another story "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"??? Definitely going out for this.
Renaissance or Shakespeare, very interesting, if only I could remember my lines :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad folks have found this useful. I think Golden Age looks like it will be even better than the first movie.

Speaking of the first movie reminds me that I still have the poster for Elizabeth even though I've got nowhere to put it right now; the image is so fabulous I can't bear to get rid of it.

350121_1020_A.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I am SOOOO excited about this movie! Cate Blanchett is amazing and her costumes in the last one were to die for. And Queen Elizabeth the First is one of my favorite historical figures. So exciting!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I TOO can command the winds, Sir!

I was enthralled the first time I saw the trailer in theaters. Now, I've seen the alternate trailer in the theater, and I truly cannot wait for this movie to come out. Everything about it looks breath-taking. If this doesn't win Oscars, it will truly be shocking.
elizabeth-goldenage.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
This is the first movie in a long time that I'm purposefully going to see on opening night (tomorrow). I actually looked for sneak preview showings but had no luck. I shall report in after viewing.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I was planning to see Elizabeth the Golden Age Friday night but the friend I was going to go with had a conflict, so tonight it was.

EGA reminded me of Moulin Rouge in it's operatic and very visual style. I adored Moulin Rouge but I know plenty of people who thought it was way over the top. I think that will happen with this film as well.

What I loved;

The visual style--the colors, the lighting, the costumes, the way shots were blocked.
Cate Blanchett--the woman just rocks, that's the only way I can put it. She's so freaking cool.
Most of the storyline--the bit with the Archduke who's come to win her hand was quite funny, the Raleigh, assasination plot and Armada parts were good too (all of this was in the trailer so I don't think these are spoilers).
The operatic scenes--you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it; the cliff, the horse, the map. Way over the top but I loved every minute.
The character actors--Geoffery Rush (I usually don't like him), Tom Hollander, Laurence Fox (who's becoming one of my new favorite actors), Rhys Ifans, Adam Godley, Samantha Morton and Abbie Cornish were all excellent.

Weaker bits
The Spanish/Catholic characters are nearly, if not actually, caricatures.
The bit with Raleigh and Bess could have been done in half the time.
The last scene--meh.
The length--like nearly every modern movie could have cut 30 minutes or more.
Clive Owen--this surprised me because he's been excellent in the past (Children of Men springs to mind). He looks gorgeous but I thought his performance was wooden--he didn't have the charisma the character required. He wasn't awful, just not as good as I think he could have been.

Long story short, I felt like I got my money's worth from a first run movie which doesn't happen very often. I'll almost certainly see it again; with a dollop of willing suspension of disbelief I think you'll really enjoy this one.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I cannot wait till this is released!

I espescially loved the first one! :eek:fftopic: - Kind of - had to love Cates look in "Charlotte Grey"!

Thanks for posting the trailer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW