Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Californian Bi-Swing Back

attack_decay

Familiar Face
I recently acquired a used ELMC Californian. Even though, I believe the back fits me quite well, the bi-swing back seems to naturally protrude and rest in the expanded position. Feeling through the lining, I can't feel an elastic band. Since I didn't buy the jacket new, and the previous owner made some alterations, my question for other owners of this jacket: was there originally an elastic band that ran across the back that helped the bi-swing return to a flat position? Because if not, it seems like a flaw in the design of the jacket. Anyone else experience the same issue?

attack_decay

Familiar Face
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. You can see that the bi-swing is in the expanded position, despite the jacket not being taut against my back.
1000002889.jpg

General fit pic:
1000002884.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002889.jpg
    1000002889.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 1000002884.jpg
    1000002884.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 56

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
Is that a size 40? Anyway, I think I've seen that happening in other elmc Californians I have seen... but I'd wait to hear back from another owner to confirm

attack_decay

Familiar Face
Is that a size 40? Anyway, I think I've seen that happening in other elmc Californians I have seen... but I'd wait to hear back from another owner to confirm
It is indeed a size 40. I have definitely seen it on other Californians as well. I had heard someone mention that they thought the elastic might be worn by out in theirs which made me curious if there was an elastic band in the jacket in the first place.

Checking the ELMC website, you can see that this issue is happening in their product photo of the brown Californian so I'm 99% sure it is the jacket cut that causes the bifold to flare.

1699355284784.png

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The flare on your pics is unsightly, on the ELMC website a bit less so, but both look like the jacket would benefit from an elastic band (or two...). If it was my jacket I would explore adding some. Should be an easy alteration.

attack_decay

Familiar Face
I agree, I think that's a bit of a design flaw. I've put an elastic band in one of my vintage jackets and it really improved the function of the bi-swing back. Might have to give this jacket the same treatment at some point.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For what its worth, I've had 4 ELMC Californian's over the past few years and while the back didn't lay perfectly flat, they didn't flare/up out as much as yours does. (or quite as much as the stock photo either).

I just checked the 2 I still have and I couldn't feel any elastic through the liner at the back on either.

Nacho

Practically Family
I recently acquired a used ELMC Californian. Even though, I believe the back fits me quite well, the bi-swing back seems to naturally protrude and rest in the expanded position. Feeling through the lining, I can't feel an elastic band. Since I didn't buy the jacket new, and the previous owner made some alterations, my question for other owners of this jacket: was there originally an elastic band that ran across the back that helped the bi-swing return to a flat position? Because if not, it seems like a flaw in the design of the jacket. Anyone else experience the same issue?

Did you get this one from a guy in Texas?

attack_decay

Familiar Face
Did you get this one from a guy in Texas?
Yep. Know him?

Mine doesn't have an elastic band either

Edit: but doesn't protrude that much either... Perhaps it is too tight on you?

Edit2: corrected damn autocorrect

I think it fits me very well, if anything I'd say your fit looks a bit more snug than mine even though your back stays flat. Another possibility is that I've broken the jacket in, by sitting with my shoulders and upper back rounded (poor posture), to default to the expanded position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner