Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Roadster - Review

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I spoke to Charles from HPA about the ELMC Windward and inquired about the aging on that jacket. He said it is lightly "aged" and that it is very nicely done.

If this is what it is, he is understating it, it's not "nicely done" at all it's bloody amazing.

I'm floored that it looks so natural and real, it never crossed my mind that it was artificially aged. I just assumed it was a natural characteristic of the leather.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yup sounds like the timeworn finish. ELC brought this in a few years back originally on one of the A-2 models (possibly the 50 cal) but expanded it across the range. IIRC it's done by hand so not one of those "bung it in a washer with a bag of marbles and 3 pieces of sandpaper" ;)

Your new jacket looks great PN and that grain, especially on the sleeves is going to look the dog's danglies with some more wear.

Looks perfect PN. Great, detailed and honest review as well. Nothing beats a beautiful d pocket and you've got that in spades. Congrats man!

technovox

One Too Many
Very nice jacket, it's a young mans style and it suits you well. Wish I was 30 years younger :)
Okay. You got me thinking about this again. I often look at this style and tell myself if only I was younger. But screw it- it's not like there's some golden cut-off point for wearing this style is there? 30 years old? 40? Ralph Lauren seems to pull it off pretty well at his age. This seems like the perfect forum to ask a question like this, so I guess at the risk of hijacking this thread... the question is: are some leather jackets only age appropriate for a younger person to wear? Thoughts?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also was going to reply to @Cooperson and inform him that at 43 this year, I'm now technically middle aged :eek: (when did THAT happen!)
but I'm sure he meant it in a nice way so just took it as a compliment.

Either way, its a great jacket, I like the fit so I'm going to wear the crap out of it (as much as my other jackets will let me)

the question is: are some leather jackets only age appropriate for a younger person to wear? Thoughts?

I think it boils down to confidence more than age, although I think that only really applies to the more classic, time proven styles. There are a lot of "designer" fashion jackets like the Goth Ninja styles that wouldn't look good on an older guy.......but then again, they don't look good on the younger guys either. ;)

technovox

One Too Many
I also was going to reply to @Cooperson and inform him that at 43 this year, I'm now technically middle aged :eek: (when did THAT happen!)
but I'm sure he meant it in a nice way so just took it as a compliment.

Either way, its a great jacket, I like the fit so I'm going to wear the crap out of it (as much as my other jackets will let me)

I think it boils down to confidence more than age, although I think that only really applies to the more classic, time proven styles. There are a lot of "designer" fashion jackets like the Goth Ninja styles that wouldn't look good on an older guy.......but then again, they don't look good on the younger guys either. ;)

I agree. Confidence...and attitude go a long way toward making a style work. Moreover, men have a longer lifespan these days, and the boundaries of what is age acceptable and appropriate keeps getting pushed and nudged. And finally, how can you go wrong with a time proven classic, with quality craftsmanship and materials from a hand made artisan? Theoretically it would seem reasonably appropriate at any age. Wear the crap out of it indeed!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This guy suits it:

IMG_4859-961x1280-225x300.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara