Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

end of the month food

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I like turkey ham fried in a pan with scrambled eggs. Have no idea if it tastes like real ham though I just like how it tastes for itself.

You might try a Spam-cram; the self-same said nihilist delight
previously remarked but with two scrambled eggs added to the mix.
Salt. pepper, or a splash of vinegar. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm now on the paid once a month plan. Stinks and is definitely an adjustment. I am existing on Ramen (with a little peanut butter thrown in and dsicard the water), grilled cheese, and Beans and Rice. Also the fried egg in the center of a piece of bread. What is that actually called? I am totally going to try the egg noodle and creamed soup idea though - perhaps with some bread crumbs baked over the top. That actually sounds yummy.

My boyfriend felt so bad he brought over a giant bag of chicken breasts from Costco for me. I am so frugal now - one breast will be 2-3 meals worth. I also made a giant batch of black bean burgers to throw in the freezer and take out as needed. Another thing I fall back on is a black bean flauta. I mash up a pile of black beans, throw in some cumin, onion and cheese if I have it into a tortilla. Spray it with a little cooking spray or brush with oil. Throw it in the oven for 5-10 mins.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Is it unusual to be paid monthly in the US? It's pretty much the norm here in the UK.

Having just bought a house, we're also rather broke, so meal planning is stepping up a notch, even though I have always been rather switched on with it anyway.

One dish that I find so useful is a red lentil bake. You cook the lentils in either water or with a stock cube (better) with seasoning and chuck in whatever vegetables you happen to have, chopped up into nice small bits. After 20 minutes when the lentils are softened and starting to go mushy, take off the heat, add a little grated cheese and a beaten egg. Put in a suitable dish, sprinkle a little more cheese or breadcrumbs ontop and bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes. Very tasty and filling. You can add green veges on the side or even have it as a side dish but it's a complete meal within itself.

Other cheap eats are pasta dishes, cottage pie (someone mentioned that one page one - minced beef pie with mashed potato topping - I just had it tonight!), rissottos, soups and stir fries. Minced beef is pretty handy for alsorts of dishes and it's usually on special somewhere.

I also go to the local shop about 20 minutes before they close to look for really good meat from a local butchers marked down cheap which I freeze. I got some lamb steaks for 19 pence each the other day! (That's about 30 US cents) It will sure help with this month's food budget.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
We used to have a treat, usually on Thursday, the day before payday. Cheese and potato pie. Not really a pie, more of a sticky pudding. Layers of potato, fried onion and cheese. As many as you like, although since it's near payday, not so many.

Delicious.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Going Cheap- Rotting Mince Meat.

Be careful with "fresh" (un-frozen)minced meat, especially from Supermarkets.
I don't know about the rest of the World but in Denmark, minced meats
only have a legal shelf life of 24 hrs. There is a reason for this-
"minced meat" rots faster than "cut meat", due to its greater
surface area and also, due to the bacteria being mixed up in the mince,
rather than just sitting on the outside, as with cuts of cut meat.

Check the date and hope they're telling the truth.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Beware the Mince!

Not only does it make sense, it's fact!
There was a Supermarket re-date-labeling their mince meat.
Of course, a TV documentary, with invisibly marked meat trays,
mystery shoppers and hidden cameras ensued.

Think about the "surface" of the product that is minced beef, or pork
and how much more surface there is than a cut and think that the bacteria that WAS already on the outside is now conveniently mixed in.

Actually, don't think about it too much.

I've never had a problem either but a lot of small children and sick, or old, or sensitive
people die from eating this stuff.

B
T

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Once got brutal food poisoning from clearance-rack steak. My mom bought it because it was marked way, way down. She cooked it well-done (my mom cooks everything well done, she's lucky I love her...) I thought I was dying and I'm not even joking. If it had been rare, who knows, it might have been a deleted scene from Aliens.

And every person in the house was sick as dogs, which was oddly appropriate since our poor dog had got the steakbones and was sick too. It's bad meat that makes a dog that sick.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I like turkey ham fried in a pan with scrambled eggs. Have no idea if it tastes like real ham though I just like how it tastes for itself.

I grew up on the Scrambled Eggs with Hebrew National Salami, and so still cant really abide any other sort of things in my scrambled eggs.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Heh. It is good stuff. I used to put it in scrambled eggs all the time but I think the best is on seeded rye with dill pickles.

But those weren't my no-money sammiches! My no-money sammiches were things like hardboiled egg whites with mayo and brown mustard and the same sour pickles. Yummy! Better than plain mayo sandwiches by a long shot.

goldendawn7

New in Town
davestlouis said:
Breadcrumb noodles. Take wide egg noodls, boil them, drain, put some butter on them, then sprinkle Italian Style breadcrumbs on them. .

Thats actually a southern Italian thing. The breadcrumbs take the place of the much more expensive Parmesan cheese.

goldendawn7

New in Town
Creeping Past said:
Cheese and potato pie. Not really a pie, more of a sticky pudding. Layers of potato, fried onion and cheese.
Delicious.
Also a food with southern Italian origins. Potato 'Gatto' its called, and usually has a little cured meat to add flavor, plus garlic and breadcrumbs. One of my favorite dishes.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Mmmmm....sounds like good eating at any time of the month...

goldendawn7 said:
Also a food with southern Italian origins. Potato 'Gatto' its called, and usually has a little cured meat to add flavor, plus garlic and breadcrumbs. One of my favorite dishes.
And sounds like it could be one of mine.....care to elaborate? Grazie in anticipo!

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran