Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer boots, shell & 360 welt

Khun

New in Town
having a devil of a time finding shell engineer boots configured with a 360 degree welt. Is this such an unusual request? One maker quoted me $3200 for such a custom made boot. I thought lolgf!

mvilla

A-List Customer
You'll have a difficult time finding a shell big enough for the shaft, I believe... shell is very small in size, so it makes more sense on boots up to like 6, 7" at maximum. At 11", as usual for engineer boots, I reckon you won't see that many... maybe if you limit only the vamp made of shell you might find a boot maker who'd do it for you.
Besides, working with shell is tricky and they tend to break easily. That could start to explain the price of $3200. A Viberg service boot in shell is what currently? About $1500? These guys know how to work with shell and I know even them have a hard time every now and then...

mvilla

A-List Customer
In summary, I think you'd need to kill at least 2 horses to make 1 pair of engineer bots out of shell and even then you may be lacking some lol

Jasonissm

Practically Family
You'll have a difficult time finding a shell big enough for the shaft, I believe... shell is very small in size, so it makes more sense on boots up to like 6, 7" at maximum. At 11", as usual for engineer boots, I reckon you won't see that many... maybe if you limit only the vamp made of shell you might find a boot maker who'd do it for you.
Besides, working with shell is tricky and they tend to break easily. That could start to explain the price of $3200. A Viberg service boot in shell is what currently? About $1500? These guys know how to work with shell and I know even them have a hard time every now and then...
Viberg has made shell engineers but they're short because of that limitation

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Personally I associate shiny shell cordovan leather with dress shoes. Dress shoes are designed to look fancy so it makes sense to use fancy leather.

Work boots on the other hand look best when slightly beat up, so why make them out of shiny leather?

Anyway, Julian boots produces cordovan engineers.

https://www.julianboots.net/products/engineer-cordovan?variant=27648949195

1695206593087.png

mvilla

A-List Customer
Viberg has made shell engineers but they're short because of that limitation
I didn't know that, but makes sense...
Personally I associate shiny shell cordovan leather with dress shoes. Dress shoes are designed to look fancy so it makes sense to use fancy leather.

Work boots on the other hand look best when slightly beat up, so why make them out of shiny leather?

Anyway, Julian boots produces cordovan engineers.

https://www.julianboots.net/products/engineer-cordovan?variant=27648949195

View attachment 547327
Interesting that they actually managed to make it! I think the shiny leather would also work on military style boots, for the higher ranks or something, but yeah, I agree that a shell engineer wouldn't be my first choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda