Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire’s Complete Golden Age Illustrations:

Flanderian

Practically Family
The are the Esquire illustrations for August 1942.

Esq084201.jpg

Esq084202.jpg

Esq084203.jpg

Esq084204.jpg

Esq084205.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know I live in a world colored by cliches, but now that uniforms are being sprinkled in, its beginning to feel more like the 1940s to me. They look very sharp too.

What is on that gentleman’s sleeve in the McGregor ad?

It's really amazing how much better the clothes and people look in the illustrations than in real-life shots.
Esq094206b.jpg
Esq094208.jpg

I'm getting, at least, an echo of our old friend the diamond pattern in that sport coat:
Esq104205a.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
It's really amazing how much better the clothes and people look in the illustrations than in real-life shots.
View attachment 270691 View attachment 270692

I'm getting, at least, an echo of our old friend the diamond pattern in that sport coat:
View attachment 270693

Agreed. Partly the product of more talented illustrators than photographers, partially reality. As a long term Paul Stuart catalog addict, the perfect model in the hands of an ultra talented photographer, can yield similar effects. But the Esquire photos aren't 7 foot tall guys, or necessarily those with a 30 inch waist.

Paul Stuart back in the day -

Scan0083.jpg

Agreed. Partly the product of more talented illustrators than photographers, partially reality. As a long term Paul Stuart catalog addict, the perfect model in the hands of an ultra talented photographer, can yield similar effects. But the Esquire photos aren't 7 foot tall guys, or necessarily those with a 30 inch waist.

Paul Stuart back in the day -

View attachment 270889

No question. The best "models," with well-tailored clothes and a talented photographer can look as if they just walked out of the pages of Esquire, just as do many of the GE Hollywood stars.

An outstanding suit and raincoat and, well, tie and shirt and luggage and car and building - you get the point. Usually, when I love one of these illustrations, it turns out to be a Fellows, so I was a bit surprised this one was a Leslie Saalburg, but only a bit, as he is a close second on my list of favorites.
Esq024302b.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
An outstanding suit and raincoat and, well, tie and shirt and luggage and car and building - you get the point. Usually, when I love one of these illustrations, it turns out to be a Fellows, so I was a bit surprised this one was a Leslie Saalburg, but only a bit, as he is a close second on my list of favorites.
View attachment 271239

Great illustration of some great clothing! Very much my sweet spot also.

Noticed Press is offering a 3 piece Donegal tweed. Hmm . . . ? :D

Flanderian

Practically Family
Looking at the meagerness of March's illustrations contained in my archives, I did another quick run through to see if there was anything else to be gleaned. And while nothing sterling was omitted, I did find a few which might be of limited interest. For what they're worth -

Esq034306a.jpg

Esq034306b.jpg

Esq034305.jpg

"incendiary...flirtation kindles...how about a light...from that spark...fire in his eyes...steam heat in his heart"

Somebody took out his thesaurus to look up synonyms for "fire."

While we are supposed to be all agog over the slouching red head (the fire thing again), I'm a bit more interesting in the seated blond with the soft-sided briefcase on her head.

Oh, and yes, Joe Cool there does have on an outstanding rig. I'm a big fan of the V-neck-sweater-or-sweater-vest-with-a-suit look.
Esq044302.jpg

It looks okay in the illustration, but four patterns or weaves - sport coat, shirt, tie and pants - might be a bit much IRL.
Esq044303a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ