Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire’s Complete Golden Age Illustrations:

Flanderian

Practically Family
This is part 1 of 2 of Esquire, June 1949.

Esq064904a.jpg

Esq064904b.jpg

Esq064905a.jpg

Esq064905b.jpg

Esq064906a.jpg

Esq064906b.jpg

Esq064907a.jpg

Esq064907b.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
I’m sorry; I love all the hats. And I’d buy the entire Cat-Cay Collection if I looked like that in it.

Agreed! Some good looking straws!

A pleated pique shirt? I’ve learned something yet again.

View attachment 300519

I'm not particularly knowledgeable concerning dress wear, but I've noted that while a comparatively narrow number of items are prescribed by a form, the subtle detail of each can actually be quite varied.

Pleated shirts seemed a fairly common variant, and picque not as uncommon as you (And I!) might suspect -

https://www.acornfabrics.com/blog/what-is-pique-fabric/

Flanderian

Practically Family
These are Esquire's July 1949 illustrations.

Pirate bold!? Well, shiver me timbers! ;)

Esq074902.jpg

Esq074903a.jpg

Esq074903b.jpg

Esq074904a.jpg

Esq074904b.jpg

Esq074905a.jpg

Esq074905b.jpg

A number of useful suggestions below. I prefer to wear my linen and cotton PS squares with 3 points up. Recently, I noticed a trend of gentlemen in political circles doing likewise. But most have 3 absolutely perfect, symmetrical points that look like nothing more than the so-configured scraps that were once provided stapled to the top of cardboard rectangles. I find it unappealing.

Esq074906.jpg

Esq074901.jpg

Last edited:

Faux Brummell

Familiar Face
Sorry, I wasn’t clear - it was the combination, a pique shirt with pleats, that I had not encountered before.

Agreed! Some good looking straws!

I'm not particularly knowledgeable concerning dress wear, but I've noted that while a comparatively narrow number of items are prescribed by a form, the subtle detail of each can actually be quite varied.

Pleated shirts seemed a fairly common variant, and picque not as uncommon as you (And I!) might suspect -

https://www.acornfabrics.com/blog/what-is-pique-fabric/

Flanderian

Practically Family
LOL. I can’t help but admire the chutzpah of the advertising executive who dreamed up the idea of marketing a line of high end, elegant clothing as “Pirate Bold.” Bravo!

A simpler time!? :D

Sorry, I wasn’t clear - it was the combination, a pique shirt with pleats, that I had not encountered before.

Nor, I! But my disclaimer was intended to portray that might simply be the product of my own lack of detailed familiarity with the genre.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Part 2 of 2 of Esquire, September 1949.

Somehow, selecting corduroy for a raincoat sounds counterproductive, irrespective of being treated for water repellency. But it still makes a good looking coat!

Esq094908.jpg

When Sam Mendes was making his excellent 2002 Depression era crime melodrama, Road to Perdition, the costumers worked hard, and successfully, to dress their characters in authentic period costumes. Seeking contemporary footwear for their male characters that would replicate that actually worn by during the era they happened upon one then still making footwear virtually identical to that of the era, Allen Edmonds.

Esq094907.jpg

Esq094901a.jpg

Esq094901b.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Love the Oct. 49 coats, particularly the return of dramatic peak lapels.

The metallic palladium shirts and ties also look neat and capture the modernist spirit of the era.

The Sept. 49 choice of corduroy for a trenchcoat horrifies me. Too much bad 70's vibes and just overall not a good fabric for a full coat.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Part 2 of 2 of Esquire, October 1949.

Esq104901.jpg

Esq104903.jpg

The coat below is handsome, but more of interest because of the particular blend of fibers used in the spinning and weaving of the cloth. Alpaca is a marvelous natural fiber possessing a good deal of the softness and warmth of cashmere, but providing greater breathability and better wear. Alpaca worsted suiting was once less uncommon. Mohair wears like iron, is wrinkle resistant and has an attractive sheen, these two fibers combined with quality sheep's wool might yield a very useful cloth.

The merchants brand name is also of interest since during roughly the same period a cloth with the brand name of Alpagora was also advertised. A blend of alpaca and angora with other fibers?

Esq104905.jpg

Esq104906a.jpg

Esq104906b.jpg

Esq104902.jpg

Esq104904.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
Love the Oct. 49 coats, particularly the return of dramatic peak lapels.

The metallic palladium shirts and ties also look neat and capture the modernist spirit of the era.

The Sept. 49 choice of corduroy for a trenchcoat horrifies me. Too much bad 70's vibes and just overall not a good fabric for a full coat.

Had forgotten about the corduroy long coats of the '70's, and that certainly isn't one I'd wish to resurrect! :oops:

Agree concerning the shirts and ties being emblematic Mid-century Modern (And the art work is very nice also.) but I'm troubled by the continuation of what I first observed as a trend of American makers of offering "sets" of excessively matchy-matchy accessories, which is a mode I've always found unfortunate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112