Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire's 16 New Trends for Men

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I like most of the trends listed. Plaid, tweed, flannel, shearling, I even like some of the military-inspired clothing, although it may not appeal to everyone here. I'm not even a follower of current fashion. I'm off on my own, doing my own thing (it's called style), but I take fashion with just a grain of salt, filtering the good from the bad, so to speak.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In or out, trends be damned, I wear the same (style/fabric) stuff year after year.........some years certain components of my wardrobe are deemed fashionable, some years not....I ignore it all....... For me, it's about my personal style; not fashion.....[huh]

BTW, a young Fashionista told me recently that while she doesn't always love the cut of my clothes (not close/tight enough), she always loves the fabric.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Obviously, I'm of the younger adult generation (early 20s), but I do tend to wear tailored fit clothing, but without it being tight or anything. It's relatively form fitting leaving room between the material and the skin. I'm not a fan of overly loose cuts myself, but there are many here and elsewhere that can appreciate them, for either style or their relaxed qualities. Whatever floats your boat. Loose-cut garments can look good too. Not everything has to be form-fitting.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
No orange pants for me....

The "orange trend" is one thing that did not appeal to me. Too bright, garish, and flamboyant. I would still consider it Autumn-wear for guys, but even so, I try to avoid colors that bright or neon myself. I think people with darker or tanned skin can pull it off better than the fair skinned can, though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think people with darker or tanned skin can pull it off better than the fair skinned can, though.
True, I have a few peach colored garments in my summer wardrobe but I can't pull that hue off in the winter.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Never really gave orange much thought. Then I read that it was Sinatra's favourite colour.

While I don't think I would ever wear it, I have made it my accent colour at home. Just today I bought Ikea curtains in orange. This will be an accent of about 10% of the colour scheme.

Then again, a discrete orange waist coat?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Aw, it's just the same old toss. The magazine industry chews up and spits out countless great (or not so) ideas, treating 'em all with little or no respect. It's a gaping cultural maw on the face of a pimply youth with no table manners...

As my mother taught me when I was young, fashion is temporary, style is timeless.

Sure, it's nice to be able to buy chinstrap shirts in Gap, and no doubt we'll see other vintage styles revived, but it's good to remember that it's all surface and seasonal, and these garments too will pass...

Meanwhile...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
For the most part the 'trends' listed are a return to the classics. We around the FL are ahead of the curve...

Lonny

One of the Regulars
I have been told I am stylish or have good taste in clothes from my friend who is off to Toronto for fashion school, I just wear what I like, what appeals to me, nothing special haha, but sometimes its nice to see what everybody likes and compare what I have to the current fashion trends just for kicks.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
The "orange trend" is one thing that did not appeal to me. Too bright, garish, and flamboyant. I would still consider it Autumn-wear for guys, but even so, I try to avoid colors that bright or neon myself. I think people with darker or tanned skin can pull it off better than the fair skinned can, though.

Come on over to Knoxville, TN during football season and you will see the most amazing display of orange. Amazing in that its worn by everyone for every occasion no matter if they should be drawing that much attention to themselves or not. I'm from Florida and football season up here is terrible from a style standpoint. As to the tweeds flannels, and monk straps, yes please. Guess I'm on the style edge as I asked my wife for some double monks for Christmas, but I'm getting them for my birthday in 3 weeks, haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner