Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etiquette question

Drappa

One Too Many
I already have a red hat and a red fascinator, and don't wear either that often because I find red shades hard to match. I think I'll go with the cream without the veil, as I'll get more use out of it after and it's easier to match with other things.

I think I wouldn't wear a cream dress to a wedding, or even light pink, but accessories would be fine I would think. After all, a lot of men are going to be wearing white shirts or looking quite like the groom, and you can't really eliminate all whites/creams/ivorys from a wedding surely.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Drappa, that hat is breath-taking! I understand that you fell in love with it. If you can, buy it anyway! You'll find an occasion! I would be seriously tempted to wear it to the wedding anyway, because it's so gorgeous and if I were you I don't think I could pass it by. To be honest, I think it would be fine and I doubt anyone would think you were trying to upstage the bride. But that's just my personal feeling.

Edit: oh just saw the other two options. I really like those hats! Yes, I would go with the cream one, it's lovely.

Last edited:

rotebander

New in Town
I think the cream would be an excellent color for the hat, but the netting makes me a tad iffy, what with it being a wedding. It's a magnificent hat, though, and I'd be all for it if it was for any other occasion!

On a related note, and excuse me if I'm going off topic, but what does one wear for a beach wedding while still keeping vintage? It's so tough to mix frills and accessories and sand, and I'm certainly not used to dressing for weddings in the first place!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
On a related note, and excuse me if I'm going off topic, but what does one wear for a beach wedding while still keeping vintage? It's so tough to mix frills and accessories and sand, and I'm certainly not used to dressing for weddings in the first place!

I've never been to a beach wedding, but I understand they are casual. I would think a large sunhat or flowers in your hair with a long cover tied at the waist and espadrilles would look smashing! Think Edie Beale :)

grey_gardens_edith_beale_book_09.jpg

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer

What about a sarong dress in a hawaiian print and espadrilles? I like C-Dot's idea of a large sun hat, too :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just keep in mind that most beaches are windy. So you might want to make sure that everything is pinned/ weighted down. You might also want a layer under your dress (shorts or something) so if the wind takes your skirt in the right direction you won't be embarrassed.

Not that I am speaking from my experience with wind or anything. :rolleyes:

Drappa

One Too Many
I just need to rant for a minute...
I just received my hat in the mail and am so annoyed. Instead of gold beads, as listed and as specifically requested by me, the seller used pearls! So now of course it definitely looks like a bridal headpiece, and I can't wear it at all. I even bought a gold and white necklace, matching shoes and a bag, all wasted now unless I find a new hat. I am so done with Etsy. Most of my experiences on there have been negative.
Anyhow, off to search for a hat with less than a week to go...

Drappa

One Too Many
Thanks Rue and C-Dot. I wrote the seller an email, but then remembered that she's on holiday, so don't even know when I will get a reply. I'm just upset that I spent most of my monthly clothing money on a hat I can't wear to this, and possibly can't wear period, since it looks so bridal.
I went to a fabric shop and bought some red feathers, so will try and play around with that and see if I can make it look less weddingy.
Probably doesn't help that I had to make a second bodice for my dress, as the first one was much much bigger than the size indicates and I couldn't fix it, then had to try and find the same fabric online and managed to find just enough to draft a new top. So stressful. I definitely see why people just buy a dress and accessories from a shop and are done with it... :)

Drappa

One Too Many
After a very nice message form Miss Golightly I suddenly remembered I have a red cocktail hat I've never worn, so the day is saved I believe!
il_570xN95476505.jpg

il_fullxfull95474789.jpg

Thanks to Miss G :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy