Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etsy

Miss Sis

One Too Many
One thing I personally think is that Etsy's search function could really be alot better. You cannot search the description anymore (you could previously), only titles, materials and tags.

I often stumble across things don't have the tags I would think they would have. If you could search the description again it would making finding things alot easier. I find I get annoyed and give up looking.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I used to hate Etsy for exactly the same reason as you -- so pricey!!-- but the shopping experience there is so much more pleasant than eBay. I'm one of those anxious people who practically gets a heart attack in the last minutes of a bidding war, hehe, so being able to buy with one click gives me such piece of mind. I sort of feel like eBay's the thrift store, and Etsy's the vintage store-- one's a jumble, with bargains if you really hunt, and the other slightly pricier but better organized with a (generally) better presentation.

I think there is a difference between a bargain and a fair price. Sure I'd love to pay $40 for a 40s day dress, but I doubt that will happen. Id love it free, but I don't think that will happen either. I also think $180 for a day dress is steep, and I'd be leery, but Id consider $100 a fair price for the age/condition/fabric/notions/size all factored in.

LD

Well now, that's relative; I've yet to spend over $20 for a day dress, and to me $40 sounds steep ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well now, that's relative; I've yet to spend over $20 for a day dress, and to me $40 sounds steep

Lucky you. But you are the grand and overwhelmingly small exception.

I personally think its naive of us to expect to pay so little for a nearly century old garment. Especially if you know what you are looking for and especially from a place/someone who knows what they are selling. Vintage clothes are not like shopping at WalMart. These are rare garments that command a price and getting angry about it isn't going to make the price go down.

As far as etsy is concerned, I do think their search is pretty bad. Better than it used to be, that's for sure!
People don't know how to list or place tags in the categories or just don't want to do it. I often see people listing like a top seller lists, which helps sometimes because those sellers take the time to list with searchable keywords which helps them.

LD

MissChloeCorville

Familiar Face
I do agree with you Lady Day. I do understand that some of the pieces I want are 60+ years older and It seems that the past 3 years dress prices have gone through the roof! :( But I think it's right to price the dress accordingly to what the actual piece is.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but it does bother me when sellers on Etsy don't know the decade their clothes are actually from. Especially now with the whole "50s" Mad Men thing, it's really mucking up my searches lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I do agree with you Lady Day. I do understand that some of the pieces I want are 60+ years older and It seems that the past 3 years dress prices have gone through the roof! :( But I think it's right to price the dress accordingly to what the actual piece is.

Totally, and Ive cussed out loud seeing some things priced the way they are priced :) And you get those nimrods who think its old and dont research it and just make it expensive to hedge their bets. Lamos!

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but it does bother me when sellers on Etsy don't know the decade their clothes are actually from. Especially now with the whole "50s" Mad Men thing, it's really mucking up my searches lol

lol Yeah. People don't know the art of pithy titles.

LD

Drappa

One Too Many
Another thing I don't like about Etsy is getting creepy messages form sellers thanking me for liking their item and offering their services in case I have questions etc. It makes me feel like I'm being stalked, and if anything makes it less likely that I will in fact buy from them. If I have questions, I will ask, but don't check up on my favorites or likes.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But Drappa, sellers on eBay do that too. I just had two do that to me for feedback.

Hey all, Etsy has just changed their listing categories. Go and edit a listing. It seems quite interesting but I dont know if I like it yet :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy