Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever have a zipper that was too smooth?

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I've owned a Lewis Leathers Star Lightning for almost a year that I picked up in used but like new condition here on the Lounge. Great jacket, wore it for the first time on my motorcycle today, and while on the highway the wind unzipped it! lol.

I had it zipped 3/4 of the way up, like you typically see with many cross zips. The wind at highway speeds created a bit of a tunneling effect down the front of the jacket, forcing the two sides apart, and the Clix zipper the jacket has is so smooth, that the jacket just unzipped itself due to this over the course of the 1 mile or so I was on the highway. Normally, we consider a smoothly operating zipper to be a plus I think, but this one was so smooth, it's actually a drawback.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. Other than zipping the jacket allllllllll the way up when I use it on my motorcycle, anyone have any fixes, or thoughts on the matter in general?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That must be some experience on the freeway!

I've never encounter this situation myself except the zipper undoing itself from the bottom up but never on the freeway. You might need a new zipper. I just zipped my YKK up and pulled the two front panels and the zipper held the position. So I don't think they are designed to glide down without using the puller.

If you are in UK call Lewis!

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
It definitely wasn't like "ziiiiiiiiiip!!!" with my jacket popping open all at once. It just slowly crept down as the wind kept creating force. I became aware of it during the last few inches when I started to feel more of a draft and also wasn't feeling the snugness of the jacket in front of my stomach. Even the bottom undid itself with no hassle though! lol. I've got a couple of harrington jackets I wish were that smooth during the final part of unzipping.

I did some trial and error just now indoors. If I stretch like I'm yawning sometimes the zipper will creep down about an inch while I'm doing that. If I trying pulling the two sides apart with my hands, 9 times out of ten it doesn't move, especially if I pull suddenly. But if I just gently apply pressure in the opposing directions, maybe one time out of four, the slider will start to creep down and continue to creep until I stop applying.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Both my LL have locking main zippers, i don't even think Lewis offers a non locking zipper.
There is definitely something wrong with your zipper, it is not too smooth, it is defective.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
This is subject i've never really pit much though toward despite decades of wearing jackets, so I might be over thinking this now. How do you visually differentiate a non locking zipper from a locking one?

Just looking at the zipper on this jacket now, everything looks fine. The teeth look normal, the slider looks normal, etc

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Actually, just looking more closely now, and I think i see the "locking" aspect. The part of the zipper that secures the pull to the slider, on my of my other jackets, appears to have some tension that causes the part of this piece opposite the hinge to sort of drag on the teeth of the zipper track, providing friction that keeps the zipper in place. It looks like on the Lewis, this tension is lacking. It's present, but not nearly to the extent that it is on my other jackets.

Is there a fix for this, or do I need to get a new zipper?

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Ask Lewis to send you replacement pull and the two zip stop at the top. With a small plier the top stops can come off with a little wiggle. Then get rid of the old slider, put the new one on and crimp the new stoppers in place.
Zip parts are hard to find and kinda expensive on their own. It’s best the manufacturer just send you some.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I actually had this happen to me last night. I wasn't on two wheels on a freeway. I was sitting in my couch watching TV and when I leaned over to get my chips I sensed the zip undoing itself slowly. It is one of my new jackets I was trying to break it in with inside wear. When I pulled the front panels the zip would undo it self without locking.
So I did a little trial and error. Flipping the zip tab up and down and what not.
What I found is that by pressing the middle bar on the puller will solve the issue and sort of resets the lock. So if you found yourself in a pinch. Pinch the middle bar on the puller.
Full disclaimer, it's not this YKK that "failed", it was actual an expensive jacket with no.5 zip I got from Japan. I am wearing another jacket today and using this as an example to show. And I don't think it failed. Just very new zipper so the metal parts are a bit stiff. It works fine now. So there is a chance your Lewis don't need an actual replacement but a "reset".
IMG_7722.JPG

Unlock position
IMG_7723.JPG

Locked position
IMG_7724.JPG

Good luck!

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Gave it a shot though, and no luck. The tension that keeps it in the locked position is present, but super weak. Pinching doesn't seem to have helped on this one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui