Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic headgear from The Past

Creeping Past

One Too Many
This is my first hat post. Apologies (plus an invitation to delete) if it's been covered before; I searched... briefly.

I'm looking for a good smoking cap. Ebay's thrown up some interesting little numbers. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Also, turbans: I'm looking for something 18th century and orientalist. I've looked at several websites, but all look a bit utilitarian, and I'm after patterned silk. All suggestions welcome, even rude ones.

Thanks

CP

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
How about a fez?
turkish%20fez-375.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You might look in the Powder Room for instructions on making a turban. I made one for a Carmen Miranda costume, and they aren't that hard.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'Past, besides eBay in the UK, I'm sure I've seen Smoking Caps at one or more of the Western/Victorian online sutlers.

Googler that you are, you've perbably seen all that I have.

Lock & Co. have a very expensive one.
http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Smoking_Caps___Fez-Embroidered_Smoking_Cap-P100.aspx

Go halfway down the page, here:
http://professorotto.livejournal.com/

...is that within boo of the Turban look you desire?

Does the Turban need to be the type which is permanently wound, a hat,
or like a (Sikh) Pagri/Pugaree- 5 metres of cloth wound around the heed.

"Hat" type Turban/Pugarees can be had from "Indian" clothing shops-
they are an item of male Indian Wedding-wear. Green St., East Ham is a good bet in the East, or Tooting, in the South of Londres. Southall out West.
Maybe not what you want but you'll get an idea- they can be made to order, in the cloth covering of your choice, I believe. At first glance, they may appear a little cheesey but you'll see.

Patterned silk can be had from me, by way of a late Christmas gift, upon my return from the slub-continent, late in January.

Name your poisson.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thank you, Paisley and BT. And Carter, that's probably what it boils down to!

Prof Otto's creation is pretty near what I had in mind; it's got that up-all-night antiquarian look about it.

I'll be looking into the pugaree angle next week. I shall try to do so online, because with my beard and 'tache combo in a real live shop I'd feel a little like a Sikh wannabe...

The patterned silk offer is very generous! I'll get my skates on and start thinking about the colour and dimensions, beginning with something like this:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Find out what type of silk you want and what type of pattern and colour range.
A print would be economical- a finely woven(woven pattern)silk would be a more expensive option(and heavier/stiffer). A fairly fine print would be nice. The cloth would probably need to be quite light in weight.
There are some classic colour combinations that are just SO Indian- one of my faves is a deep marroon red, combined with bright green.

I'm getting excited now- I'm the only guy in Delhi to be found sitting in Sari shops with the Women. Drinking tea, of course, while the many assistants bring out yet more silks...

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry, we'll be doing lots of Christmas shopping for the NZ folks-
textiles figure largely in this exercise- we know where to shop, no problem.

Something like in that Byron picture would be nice and it would give me a good clue. A picture would be very useful.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner