Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eyelashes

Etienne

A-List Customer
I have a general question for you ladies: Does anyone out there have a problem with their lashes going every which way? I have noticed that for the last two years or so, my eyelashes are either growing out sort of criss-crossing each other or maybe I sleep weird on them or something, but they are always at odd angles. It isn't that they are not "curled"--they do grow in an upward curve. I have never used a curler, but recently bought one to try. It doesn't solve my problem. Does anyone know of a product or a practice I might try to groom them?? (Is it just aging??) Thanks for any help you might be able to give!--Etienne

Carolie

Mine do the same, but I think it's b/c of the way I sleep (on my stomach w/ my face mashed in the pillow hehe). I can usually fix them by brushing my lashes with an eyelash brush after I wash my face. Dunno if that works for everyone though. =/ It is good to brush your lashes at least once a day. :)

Rosie

One Too Many
Combing the eyelashes with an eyebrow comb should work. I have a few wayward lashes that just will not conform, I usually just pluck those few they take about a month or so to grow back.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Mine are long and curly, except for 4 (2 on each upper lid) that are straight and drive me mad. They only went straight over the last year. But fortunately applying mascara pushes them back into a curl. If it gets worse I'll invest in a curler, and I might have a shot at the mineral oil.

Carolie

jitterbugdoll said:
A cheaper option would be to use a dab of mineral oil--I have heard that some ladies like to use that to help condition their lashes :)

You have to be careful with oil products around your eyes. You can get oil clots. Not fun at all =(

Carolie

I think it's just straight oil. I use cold cream around my eyes too, and haven't had a problem yet. But I have heard of some people who put just straight vegetable/mineral oil on there eyelashes and have gotten clots. It probably depends on how much oil, so it's probably best to be careful with the amount you use.

decodoll

Practically Family
The misdirection of eyelashes is actually a medical condition called Trichiasis. (I work for a group of ophthamologists :) ) One can actually have surgery for it if it's severe enough. We have older patients that come in all the time to have lashes plucked. It's not restricted to older people, but I do believe it generally develops more as a person ages. I'll have to ask one of the docs about the mineral oil and "clots". That's one I've never heard, and I love to use cold cream to remove eye make-up.

I've never heard of cutting eyelashes to make them grow back longer. That's horrible. There is actually a medication for glaucoma that makes your eyelashes grow longer, though. :) Of course, it also turns blue eyes brown....

Etienne

A-List Customer
Thanks for the suggestions, Ladies! I will try these asap! Oddly, yesterday I was talking to one of my sisters about this (she's a year younger than I) and she said the same thing has been happening to her lashes as well! So maybe it IS age related...I was wondering if a particular style of mascara wand would be best for this; they seem to make them in so many designs and I am confused as to which one is for what!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Is milia when the tear ducts along the lower eyelid get blocked? That comes up as tiny little white bumps that are easily scratched off (is this getting yucky or what!). And slightly "Off Topic" but can somebody refer me to a thread or answer a quick question about Cold Cream. I was going to use a 1946 recipe, but then realised I don't know what it is - moisturiser or cleanser?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot