Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F/s late war irvin in exceptional condition

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a superb example of a multi-panelled Irvin, which dates from 1944-5. It is complete with its original label. I do not know who the time owner was, but it is typical of the Irvins worn on four engined RAF bombers. Irvins in this exceptional condition rarely come up for sale.

The entire jacket is made from thick copper coloured fleece. Most late War Irvin jackets were made from surplus Irvin trousers and this one was made from early War trousers rather than the shaggy mid War type. The sheepskin is soft and not itchy when worn, which is often the case with the shaggy fleece variety. There are some old lines of stitching on the hem, bottoms of the sleeves and windflap from when the panels were used for Irvin trousers.

The skin side of the fleece is a chestnut brown and has been given a light coat of leather conditioner. It has no holes or repairs and is supple and robust. The leather seam tapes are secure with all their original stitching.

There is almost no wear to the fleece at the cuffs, hem, collar and windflap, indicating that the jacket has been lightly used.

The original hanging chain is present. The belt is solid and complete with no re-stitching at all! The leather collar strap and fixing rings are present, but this jacket does not have the eyelets for the elastic collar securing strap as later War Irvins did not have this feature.

All 8 under-arm vent rings are in tact under both armpits.

All three zips are the original Lightnings with their original leather pulls and they function smoothly with no missing teeth.

The AM label reads: Size 4, Stores ref. 22c/320, contract 12353, height- 5'8"/5'9", breast-36"/38", waist-32"/34". Remember these measurements assume the jacket is worn over a RAF clothing. This was one of the last wartime contracts awarded by the Air Ministry.

Measurements (from the outside): armpit to armpit (front and back): 22" (front and back), sleeves from shoulder seam to end of cuff: 24", across the shoulders: 19.5", from the base of the collar to the hem at the back: 24", down the front (from start of zip to bottom the hem: 21.5" and the waist (measured at the hem): 22". It should comfortably fit someone with a chest size up to a 38-40".

This is an exceptionally nice all complete, wearable Irvin, which does not have any nasty smells!

I will accept £500 plus fees and postage. Pm me if you are interested.

002-25.jpg

014-31.jpg

018-19.jpg

005-32.jpg

003-25.jpg

004-28.jpg

008-33.jpg

013-28.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members