Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabrics for Cold Weather Suits?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
jcw122 said:
Damn I'm startin' to give up here on the idea of a 40's style suit...it seems that either it's going to be way too expensive for a college student like me, or if I try from an online place, it won't come out right. :eusa_doh:

Why do you want to go custom? The vintage stuff is cheaper to buy and made better most of the time (I went through all of my vintage suits and all but one of them was fully canvassed)

jcw122

New in Town
Mr. Rover said:
Why do you want to go custom? The vintage stuff is cheaper to buy and made better most of the time (I went through all of my vintage suits and all but one of them was fully canvassed)

From the searching I've done, real vintage stuff is extremely hard to find. I have almost no access to vintage stores, and only access to one or two Goodwills.

donCarlos said:
And what about our dear magnoli clothiers? I don´t think the prices are too high. I´m college student as well and I´m really considering having at least one suit made... They look worth it.

I considered him, but I've read a few threads here that have had serious issues. It would be an option yes, but $500 is still alot for me. I'd still need shoes, a fedora, a tie, a dress shirt, etc.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Rover said:
(I went through all of my vintage suits and all but one of them was fully canvassed)

Hey Ray,
Perhaps this is a stupid question but....
Can you explain to me how you can feel the difference without taking them apart?

jcw122

New in Town
Ah now that I looked back over Magnoli's, that might be a good idea for a double breasted suit, the Washington Double Breasted looks nice.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Mr. Rover said:

jcw122 said:
From the searching I've done, real vintage stuff is extremely hard to find. I have almost no access to vintage stores, and only access to one or two Goodwills.

This is exactly the problem I have. I love to buy some 'real' vintage, but the search is difficult, time consuming, and potentially error prone as you 'hit & miss' on eBay (i.e. buying something that looks vintage to the untrained eye, but upon closer inspection isn't).

Clearly, at least in my situation, the supply side of the equation is the problem. Hmmm, thinking again about that silly 'no eBay auctions postings' rule....

Regards,
- Steve

Feraud

Bartender
SteveN said:
Hmmm, thinking again about that silly 'no eBay auctions postings' rule....

Regards,
- Steve
The Ebay rule keeps the Lounge from being flooded by Ebay sellers. The Lounge should feel like a resource/hobby site and not an advertising space.

The rule also protects you as a buyer. Why would you want to advertise your find and have to compete with like minded buyers?

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
The Ebay rule keeps the Lounge from being flooded by Ebay sellers. The Lounge should feel like a resource/hobby site and not an advertising space.

The rule also protects you as a buyer. Why would you want to advertise your find and have to compete with like minded buyers?

Hmmm. I can certainly understand, and agree with the first point. I think everyone has had just about enough of spammers.

To the second, you're under no obligation to share a find. Of course if, during your browsing, you run across something of interest to other members, but not yourself, then sharing it would help the community.

Perhaps the answer is to create a specific eBay section of the forum and restrict posts to that forum only.

Regards,
- SteveN

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
The negatives do not outweigh the positive.

While I make a rule of never upsetting my bar tender, I should point out that that's a matter of opinion. Many other forums have a specific eBay section, and they work quite well.

Like always 'caveat emptor', but the sharing of market information is almost always a good thing.

Regards,
- SteveN

SteveN said:
Perhaps the answer is to create a specific eBay section of the forum and restrict posts to that forum only.

They have this over at VLJ and it's intensely annoying. "Hey guys, look at this really badly listed small WWII jacket. Snap it up!" You know that just 1% (at most) of the members saw it for themselves. But now, everyone's bidding.

I'm very much of the opinion that this is a marketplace (the general internet environment). I'll help anyone out with generalities, features, sharing my own stuff, and i regularly PM people with stuff they'd be interested in. Anything vintage i buy but doesn't work for me i contact a specific member first and offer a damn good deal on it. I don't think i've made high profit on anything i've sold on. But if there's something i really want, i want as few competitors as possible. Hence, i agree with the no live eBay links rule.

bk

Jerekson

One Too Many
While I understand perfectly well where Steven is coming from, I agree wholeheartedly with BK and, in essence, the original rule.

That being said, we are getting very off-topic. Shall we drop this confrontation?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Jerekson said:
While I understand perfectly well where Steven is coming from, I agree wholeheartedly with BK and, in essence, the original rule.

That being said, we are getting very off-topic. Shall we drop this confrontation?

:eek:fftopic: Well said, Sir.
This is an "at-will" forum governed by well-considered policies. As noted, there are always alternatives. There has been more than enough questioning of policies in numerous threads lately. If a member doesn't like the policies, they don't have to be here. It's that simple. :eek:fftopic:

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
They have this over at VLJ and it's intensely annoying. "Hey guys, look at this really badly listed small WWII jacket. Snap it up!" You know that just 1% (at most) of the members saw it for themselves. But now, everyone's bidding.

I'm very much of the opinion that this is a marketplace (the general internet environment). I'll help anyone out with generalities, features, sharing my own stuff, and i regularly PM people with stuff they'd be interested in. Anything vintage i buy but doesn't work for me i contact a specific member first and offer a damn good deal on it. I don't think i've made high profit on anything i've sold on. But if there's something i really want, i want as few competitors as possible. Hence, i agree with the no live eBay links rule.

bk

Well I wouldn't characterize this discussion as a 'confrontation', more like a rational discourse.

In any event, it is off topic, so I'll leave with one question: how does one register for an IOI (Indication Of Interest)? Is it acceptable to post 'Wanted: X' in the Classifieds?

Unfortuntely in my case, I need just about everything. :(

Cheers,
- Steve

Feraud

Bartender
SteveN said:
Well I wouldn't characterize this discussion as a 'confrontation', more like a rational discourse.

In any event, it is off topic, so I'll leave with one question: how does one register for an IOI (Indication Of Interest)? Is it acceptable to post 'Wanted: X' in the Classifieds?

Unfortuntely in my case, I need just about everything. :(

Cheers,
- Steve
Agreed. This is merely a discussion.

You can certainly post a Wanted To Buy notice in the classifieds.

Jerekson

One Too Many
It's funny because as I was writing that I had this nagging they-aren't-going-to-like-that feeling in the back of my head and completely ignored it.

Poor choice of words. I meant to say, "discussion". :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff