Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Faded ring" around hat crown...

It could also be from the sweatband of a hat that was stacked on top of it (assuming no spacer or protective covering). Also could be from the box (insert holders, spacers) it was stored in (assuming it was stored in a box for a long time). Just some other guesses.

tonydi

New in Town
Dobbs Cross Country 1.jpg

Just picked up this Dobbs Cross Country and it also has the discoloration. This hat has no liner, and the discoloration is the exact width of the leather sweat, which is wider than the ribbon. The hat is in beautiful shape, 1950s judging from the reorder tag. I think the raw side of the leather does something to the felt over a long period of years. I just noticed that on the backside of the sweatband (the raw side against the hat) there is a small 1/2" square that is taped on. No writing on it that I can see. The interesting thing is that that little square stopped it from discoloring on the outside, so I've got to think its something to do with the leather, and not stacking, and least on hats with no liner.

tonydi

New in Town
Dobbs Cross Country 6.jpg

You can make out where it didn't fade because of the tape. Just a bit over to the right and just above the ribbon. Makes me want to put something between the raw leather and the hat so it doesn't get ant worse!

From the outfield here, you might even consider having Mr. Jessee at Black Sheep Hat Works DYE the hat, and start over, so to speak. I've used this approach back in the day.

tonydi

New in Town
From the outfield here, you might even consider having Mr. Jessee at Black Sheep Hat Works DYE the hat, and start over, so to speak. I've used this approach back in the day.
Its just to nice and original to me to do that. Its a few shades darker than the photos show. Kind of grey with a tinge of green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff