Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fair Warning about Aero Alpaca Lining ... and any suggestions, please!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think some people assume that if an animal will attack an animal product, something has gone wrong in the treatment/tanning / preserving. I'm not convinced. Though years ago we had a coincidence of one particular cat and a pair of fluffy slippers my mother owned at the time (we think they must have been rabbit fur).....
His adoptive brother was never bothered by them, though, so.

My current cat has taken to occasionally peeing on one of my coats to indicate displeasure. I'd rather she bit me.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind, interesting to hear about that coincidence :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I think some people assume that if an animal will attack an animal product, something has gone wrong in the treatment/tanning / preserving. I'm not convinced. Though years ago we had a coincidence of one particular cat and a pair of fluffy slippers my mother owned at the time (we think they must have been rabbit fur).....
His adoptive brother was never bothered by them, though, so.

My current cat has taken to occasionally peeing on one of my coats to indicate displeasure. I'd rather she bit me.

SPEW!!@!!! You owe a fresh cup of hot spiced cider!!!!! LOL! I'm in tears here! Reason number 238 why I'll NEVER own a cat! Even though almost all I've met have loved me. Problem is they love me but my lungs don't love them! Thanks man... I needed that!

Worf

Edward

Bartender
SPEW!!@!!! You owe a fresh cup of hot spiced cider!!!!! LOL! I'm in tears here! Reason number 238 why I'll NEVER own a cat! Even though almost all I've met have loved me. Problem is they love me but my lungs don't love them! Thanks man... I needed that!

Worf

Heh. There is something about people with allergies that makes cats drawn to them. Do you find if they get close you screw your eyes up a bit? The whole half-closed eye thing is something cats do when they are happy and upclose to another individual they trust, so that can be a bit of a come on for them.

Greta isn't so bad, really. She just gets mad when her Big Cat has to be away for work. Probably my fault somewhere - raised her from kittenhood when she was seven and a half weeks old, so she won't remember anything before that I'm sure.

El Marro

Heh. There is something about people with allergies that makes cats drawn to them. Do you find if they get close you screw your eyes up a bit? The whole half-closed eye thing is something cats do when they are happy and upclose to another individual they trust, so that can be a bit of a come on for them.

Greta isn't so bad, really. She just gets mad when her Big Cat has to be away for work. Probably my fault somewhere - raised her from kittenhood when she was seven and a half weeks old, so she won't remember anything before that I'm sure.
I am allergic to cats as well and they all seem to love me right off the bat. Many times people have been surprised to see their cat come over and rub up against my leg or even jump into my lap shortly after I arrive, they tell me that their cat is usually terribly shy around strangers. I think that they can sense that I have absolutely no interest in them at all, and this piques their curiosity.

bn1966

Cats don't work well with my lungs either....nose starts to itch if I go near anywhere a cat has recently been..its the dander apparently. Luckily I'm a dog person & cats don't come near me with my hound around :)

Is this a 'JOKE' thread and OP posts..?? All my Aero jackets have alpaca lining. My Bootlegger and Highwayman have brown regular alpaca while my Aero Stuart has a heavier burgundy alpaca. Neither has ever shed on clothes (even a little). Fortunately I'm not allergic to this lining and it doesn't make me itch at all. The regular alpaca lining is not extremely warm, however Aero's heavier alpaca in burgundy color is much warmer. I suppose there is a chance that Aero received a bad batch of alpaca that somehow sheds and maybe therefore extremely itchy. Just seems quite out of the norm to me.
HD

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
Is this a 'JOKE' thread and OP posts..?? All my Aero jackets have alpaca lining. My Bootlegger and Highwayman have brown regular alpaca while my Aero Stuart has a heavier burgundy alpaca. Neither has ever shed on clothes (even a little). Fortunately I'm not allergic to this lining and it doesn't make me itch at all. The regular alpaca lining is not extremely warm, however Aero's heavier alpaca in burgundy color is much warmer. I suppose there is a chance that Aero received a bad batch of alpaca that somehow sheds and maybe therefore extremely itchy. Just seems quite out of the norm to me.
HD

I just gave it a few more rolls with a lint roller and took a pic to prove my point. I've already gone through 10 sheets with the lint roller, took it the cleaners, brushed it twice, and hand washed it. The alpaca still sheds like this:

Attachments

• WechatIMG98.jpeg
    WechatIMG98.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 801
  • WechatIMG99.jpeg
    WechatIMG99.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 802

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
*UPDATE*

The replacement cotton lining from Aero arrived last week. It only took about a week for shipping and to get through Chinese customs. I took it to my local dry cleaner, who went on a search for someone to try and put it in, which took a few days. The cleaner initially contacted a seamstress at Ports International, who did not want to touch it. Then he found another seamstress that said it would be difficult, but would do it for $50. After a week of waiting, I finally got my re-lined jacket back this morning. I was worried about how good of a job this seamstress would do, but it appears to be solid work. So here are the pics! (before and after)

WechatIMG6.jpeg WechatIMG5.jpeg

I've gotta say, it's much more comfortable and roomy with the new cotton lining. That alpaca was really uncomfortable and too thick for a jacket this slim fitting. Glad I got this done now, as the cold weather just started to descend on my city. I wore this jacket around town today with a thermal top, dress shirt, and scarf in 55-60 degree weather and was quite comfortable. So, I'm now pretty happy with my Board Racer!

And for all of you that are wondering, the new cotton lining has been snake-tested. Elmo approves.
WechatIMG10.jpeg WechatIMG11.jpeg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Dude, that is like the tiniest, cutest, non-threatening snake ever. Elmo! Hahahah! Laughing too hard right now. Very happy for you though.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Good to hear it's all fixed and you got a great and well fitting non-itching non-animal attack provoking jacket now. :D

Are you sure this is a snake though? Might as well be a uncommonly handsome rain worm on steroids.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
That’s the snake that was threatening to eat you due to the alpaca lining?!?!? Lol

Glad to hear that the jacket is all worked out!

- Ian

MET

A-List Customer
Nice to know that all is good. Even the snake is behaving well on the cotton drill. I always prefer happy endings.

Peacoat

Bartender
I hope that snake isn't one of those deadly Chinese snakes that can kill in less than 2 seconds. It is a nice looking snake and probably a pet.

You wore a jacket in temps of 55 to 60? Wow. I seldom wear even a vest in those temps. No wonder you wanted to get rid of the Alpaca.

It looks good. Glad it worked out for you.

TheJuniper

Familiar Face
I hope that snake isn't one of those deadly Chinese snakes that can kill in less than 2 seconds. It is a nice looking snake and probably a pet.

You wore a jacket in temps of 55 to 60? Wow. I seldom wear even a vest in those temps. No wonder you wanted to get rid of the Alpaca.

It looks good. Glad it worked out for you.

Geez, I mentioned it was a corn snake in an earlier post. A very popular breed for pet snakes. Everyone on this thread seems to think I had some sort of pit viper!

And yes, I live on a sub-tropical island in South China. It's 80-90 degrees and humid for 6 months of the year, and then 50-60 degrees and humid for the other 6 months. Feels freezing in those "winter" months.

ProteinNerd

I have to admit I had something more like this in mind when you said you had a pet snake.... not that cute little thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk