Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falcon Park Hattery

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I think the bow is on the correct side, hatophile. In that pic, the side dent/pinch runs farther back toward the rear of the crown than is common on ORs with the cattleman crease, making it look like the back of the hat is the front. I'm asking him to center the side dents more.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks salty i have spent the last couple of hours researching but i do want some general info uf you can? I see that the classic whippet has little to no taper. I also have seen varying brim lengths do you think 2 1/2 would do? And after many pictures i believe that a granite body with either a navy or black band would be very 1940s ish comments?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Thanks salty i have spent the last couple of hours researching but i do want some general info uf you can? I see that the classic whippet has little to no taper. I also have seen varying brim lengths do you think 2 1/2 would do? And after many pictures i believe that a granite body with either a navy or black band would be very 1940s ish comments?

This one (same one here) has a 2.5" brim and no taper; 2.5" seems to be the most common brim width. The second link shows it closer to its actual color, but it's a darker gray than it appears in the photos, with black ribbon.

Don't be tempted to go with a stingier brim; you'll wind up with something like this:

thugs+2.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

If memory serves, most of the Granite blanks are a little on the brown side and are not totally gray. This is one reason I picked Charcoal instead of granite. Silverbelly is a tan and has a slight pink cast in some light. Granite is a darker Silverbelly in some ways. It would be great if someone who actually HAS a granite hat would confirm of deny this on.

Not trying to influence your decision, but if you want GRAY, Granite may not be exactly gray.

Later

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Alright just got off the phone with Parker. My Whippet clone will be steel with a black band. The edge will be bound in black. I think we have come really close with cloning the Bing Crosby hat I posted a few days ago. It should be awesome!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I don't recall seeing a Whippet where the binding wasn't a similar colour to the felt - maybe a little contrast if the ribbon is aged or dirty.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

now THAT's a hat. I'd probably even wear it. It actually reminds me of something I've seen before around the custom sites. (I really like the one it reminds me of-- no sarcasm, honestly). Maybe it's the "short folks wear tall hats to improve their stature" syndrome... or something.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's not a Whippet. but I have this Royal Stetson that I'd consider a nice steel grey, and the "matching" binding isn't really all that steely-- it could be just a simple dark grey. Ribbon is black. It's shown next to a Dobbs guild edge in more of a lighter granite grey for comparison.

001copyu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff