Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

thor

One Too Many
8D926EA7-08B3-4568-99D8-066AB54DDC69.jpeg

Debbie Harry with the late/great Irish guitarist Rory Gallagher (wearing a vintage Navy G-1).

kb777

New in Town
Here's CDR Steve McGarrett-- the orignal McGarrett -- (a SWO reserve in this episode no less), rocking a G-1 while underway on a small boy. Just like we di in the 80s!

Edward

Bartender
Jordan Bolger (who some Loungers will also have seen as Isaiah Jesus in Peaky Blinders, also written by Stephen Knight) in This Town, currently running on the BBC. Bolger wears this distinctive civlianised B3 in character in the show. I'd put money on it being either an Aero or an Eastman. It echoes the similarly distinctive Aero B3 seen in Masters of the Air recently, but with the addition of civilian style handwarmer pockets. I remember something like this being a standard offering in the old "Aero USA" days, circa 2008.

I certainly doubt that's it's the $150 special being offered on the website I found these screengrabs on.... (they don't, funnily enough, carry a photo of their own product).

1712223021928.png

1712223049602.png

This Town is set in 1981, and tells the interlinking stories of kids no the burgeoning two-tone scene there. The sense of period overall is very well done, particularly (but not only) in the wardrobe. All the genuine bleakness of early eighties Britain. Bolger plays a Sergeant in the British Army - on active duty in Belfast when we first meet him, but soon back home in Birmingham. Sort of young man who would have built up the disposable cash to pick up an expensive jacket. It caught my eye because I know exactly what it is. I'm not sure that a replica like this was technically available in 81, but they've blended it in very well to create a believable period look.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Jordan Bolger (who some Loungers will also have seen as Isaiah Jesus in Peaky Blinders, also written by Stephen Knight) in This Town, currently running on the BBC. Bolger wears this distinctive civlianised B3 in character in the show. I'd put money on it being either an Aero or an Eastman. It echoes the similarly distinctive Aero B3 seen in Masters of the Air recently, but with the addition of civilian style handwarmer pockets. I remember something like this being a standard offering in the old "Aero USA" days, circa 2008.

I certainly doubt that's it's the $150 special being offered on the website I found these screengrabs on.... (they don't, funnily enough, carry a photo of their own product).

View attachment 604366

View attachment 604367

This Town is set in 1981, and tells the interlinking stories of kids no the burgeoning two-tone scene there. The sense of period overall is very well done, particularly (but not only) in the wardrobe. All the genuine bleakness of early eighties Britain. Bolger plays a Sergeant in the British Army - on active duty in Belfast when we first meet him, but soon back home in Birmingham. Sort of young man who would have built up the disposable cash to pick up an expensive jacket. It caught my eye because I know exactly what it is. I'm not sure that a replica like this was technically available in 81, but they've blended it in very well to create a believable period look.

Yupp, Aero have just confirmed that they indeed provided the jacket (i.a.) for the movie...

Edward

Bartender
Yupp, Aero have just confirmed that they indeed provided the jacket (i.a.) for the movie...

aha! That was my main hunch. Nice to have it confirmed! :)

It looks very cool. I do love my B3 & Irvin. The B3 has the distinct advantage that the map pocket is somewhere to stow a pair of gloves when I step inside. I've always been halfway tempted, though, by a B3 with B6 style pockets... a deviation from milspec, but could be practical! Black sheepskin would be nice too.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto