Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Farrelly brothers' "The Three Stooges"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Senator Jack said:
We're just too close to the originals to think about anyone else filling their shoes.

Or perhaps we are just so defeated on the topic of remakes and re-invisions that we just dont care anymore. I mean fans and people who are not fans of the movie will see it if nothing more than to mock it and point out its flaws. Either way, money in the pockets of the studio folks. Then when the next project comes out this cycle will start all over again.

Perfect formula really.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think in this particular case the question becomes "How much of those particular characters came out of the specific sensibilities of the men playing them?" You can have someone playing Curly, for example, but how much of what made Curly Curly came out of Jerome Howard's specific talents?

There was an idea some years ago to make a new series of Laurel and Hardy films with people I can't remember playing Stan and Ollie, but the idea never got off the ground in part because nobody could quite replicate the chemistry of the originals. Same thing with trying to make a Chaplin movie without Chaplin, or a Keaton movie without Keaton -- some screen characters are simply too intertwined with the men who created them for anyone else to really be able to bring them to life. At best, all you can hope for is an impersonation, not an interpretation.

True. How does a guy who doesn't know how to play the harp play Harpo?

But let's look at it this way. Harpo, Groucho, Chicko (Hey, I like the original spelling) never actually used their names in any of the films. It was always Rusty, Professor Wagstaff, etc. So an actor could come along and give a new interpretation of Professor Wagstaff, who is, let's face it, a classic character.

Regards,

Jack

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I just came from the Harvey thread. The Farrelly Brothers have made some good comedies, but oh my, leave the Stooges alone!

It's like Russell Brand playing Chaplin... I like Russell, but not in that role.

Why don't we start a thread "Hollywood is Remaking ___." Then we can grieve in one place!

Feraud

Bartender
An excerpt from a message board post dated 2060.

"Listen I know Hollywood has to make money but a remake of Adam Sandler's Big Daddy is out of the question! True, The Longest Yard was a remake of an earlier film with Burt...something. Sandler approached the material as an artist and not just out to make a buck. Hollywood today has no imagination. They had better not remake the 2020 version of The Maltese Falcon!"

We are talking The Three Stooges here..

:);)

djd

Practically Family
Hate to say it but I never, ever liked the Three Stooges in the first place - maybe just me but it seemed much more specifically American for some reason....? (I love Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Bros and Abbot and Costello).

Hollywood seems totally incapable of making any film at the moment that is not a remake, sequel or based on a comic book or video game. I doubt if the film industry has ever been less imaginative.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Some do, because their parents don't explain to them how wrestling works.
Or how much abuse the wrestlers bodies take...
Wrestling's real btw. :)
Oh yeah, I heard the same argument growing up about the Three Stooges.
But honestly, who hit another kid of the head with a pipe wrench to see if it would bend, or used a saw on a friend's head to see if it took the teeth off? It was true slapstick comedy, very thought out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21