Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

ortega76

Practically Family
I've said it before, but I have seen it already today as it
"warms up" to 40. Flip flops worn regardless of weather, season or location. Worse is someone wearing "dressy flip flops" (designer labels or the like) to nice events.

dnjan

One Too Many
Flip-flops are one of those things that really makes it difficult for me to avoid going into "pre-conceived notion" mode. Most people, when wearing flip-flops adopt a kind of shuffle-walk (I presume to keep them on). That shuffle walk often takes on a certain shiftless, or lazy tone, and I have to keep reminding myself that the walk is due to the footwear and not personal motivation.

just_me

Practically Family
I know that several people in this thread hate crocs and sneakers and wonder why people can't wear "real shoes." I wear crocs or sneakers every day, except when I'm wearing riding boots (to ride). I hate wearing regular shoes. I've got all kinds - high heels, med. heels, low heels and all brands and price points. They're not comfortable. You can judge me by my shoes or by the jeans that I wear most of the time (except for riding breeches) if you want, but I think Carter had it right when he wrote "Don't judge a book by its cover." ;)

Frykitty

Familiar Face
'm pretty tolerant of what others wear. Unless that person is a friend of mine and they created a fashion nightmare then they need to know. A couple things that makes me cringe are tear away track pants and sport jerseys, if you are not on the track or in the arena watching a game. yukk.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dnjan said:
Flip-flops are one of those things that really makes it difficult for me to avoid going into "pre-conceived notion" mode. Most people, when wearing flip-flops adopt a kind of shuffle-walk (I presume to keep them on). That shuffle walk often takes on a certain shiftless, or lazy tone, and I have to keep reminding myself that the walk is due to the footwear and not personal motivation.

This reminds me of a former coworker. She always shuffled her feet even though she wore real shoes at work. And yes, she was slow, still making newbie mistakes after a year and a half and I constantly had to remind her to do things.

Someone remarked on "dressy" flip-flops. If you pay $100 for flip-flops with costume jewelry glued on them, what you have are expensive casual shoes.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
just_me said:
I know that several people in this thread hate crocs and sneakers and wonder why people can't wear "real shoes." I wear crocs or sneakers every day, except when I'm wearing riding boots (to ride). I hate wearing regular shoes. I've got all kinds - high heels, med. heels, low heels and all brands and price points. They're not comfortable. You can judge me by my shoes or by the jeans that I wear most of the time (except for riding breeches) if you want, but I think Carter had it right when he wrote "Don't judge a book by its cover." ;)

I would never have guessed that you don't wear dress shoes. :rolleyes:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I agree that it makes no sense to try and make a moral judgement about a persons character using what type of footwear they have on as a criteria. This to me is just common sense. What falls short of common sense is the wearing of footwear that gives the wearer the feeling of comfort now in exchange for a lot of discomfort (and possibly serious and debilitating foot problems in the not too distant future). Shoes that don't offer any kind of arch support (all flip-flops and the cool looking ,but unsupporting Converse All-Star) are worn at a price to your feet.
Of course, how much you pay for a shoe has no relation to if it's comfortable or good for you feet. My (almost) everyday shoe of choice is an inexpensive pair of Bostonian cap toe dress shoes. One black and one brown. It doesn't make me a better person than our flip-flop or croc wearing members-and I salute you for having the courage to admit it here-it just makes my feet feel good. End of Hectoring.
Cheers!

just_me

Practically Family
Sefton said:
My (almost) everyday shoe of choice is an inexpensive pair of Bostonian cap toe dress shoes. One black and one brown.

You wear one black shoe and one brown shoe?
:D

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I just don't like the general sloppiness of people today. You can dress casually without dressing sloppily (pants way too big, hanging down past your crotch, oversize shirts, coats, etc, flip flops....ugh, sweatpants, "scrubs", etc.). Now around here a lot of folks work for a living. Real physical work, so I can see dirty blue jeans and shirts, and such. I work outside myself, but I dress neatly.

Worst thing? probably sweat pants AND flip flops!

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fatdutchman said:
I just don't like the general sloppiness of people today. You can dress casually without dressing sloppily (pants way too big, hanging down past your crotch, oversize shirts, coats, etc, flip flops....ugh, sweatpants, "scrubs", etc.). Now around here a lot of folks work for a living. Real physical work, so I can see dirty blue jeans and shirts, and such. I work outside myself, but I dress neatly.

Worst thing? probably sweat pants AND flip flops!

Hey you are talkin bout me[huh]

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
I could go on and on about fashion faux pas.

Those croc shoes I do not really understand... aren't they plastic or something? They would make the feet sweat wouldn't they?
To me they are one of those 'I give up' items - as in they no longer care how they look.

Also... while shopping yesterday I saw another faux pas that sort of stunned me. There was a teenager wearing those low cut denim skinny jeans and a skimpy top. And I mean low, they appeared to stop just above the pubic bone! and she wore a belt with a large buckle with it...I actually felt sorry for her! Doesn't she have any respect for herself.
Another thing with those skinny low cut jeans is when the wearer sits down. It is not a pleasant sight especially when one is trying to eat!
The persons bottom literally hangs out the back! It is even worse on curvier girls... and they are constantly trying to pull them up, but it keeps flopping out! * shudder *

ortega76

Practically Family
Celia Crowson said:
Those croc shoes I do not really understand... aren't they plastic or something? They would make the feet sweat wouldn't they?
To me they are one of those 'I give up' items - as in they no longer care how they look.

They are made of a supposedly anti-microbial material but it does feel like squishy plastic. My mother caused a near riot when, as nursing supervisor, she enforced hospital regs declaring crocs as inappropriate and unsafe footwear on her floor. The shoes are horrible and I have seen grown women buy the youth sized ones with Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers or the like. Ugh.

Facebook has a funny anti-crocs club.

dnjan

One Too Many
Celia Crowson said:
material deleted ... but it keeps flopping out! * shudder *
I told my daughter that if she bulges out more than 1/4" past her jeans there is either too much of her or not enough of her jeans. Once is enough, and she has been more careful/considerate since.

Charlz

Familiar Face
I once saw a young gentleman who was wearing a blood stopping tight pair of hip huggers with a matching sleeveless, t-shirt. He was an unfit 250lbs. His flip-flips also matched.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
charlie farley said:
I wear tie clips to work as I bend over tables in the bar.I hate my ties flopping down like a big tongue.I had a clip with a spirit level in it and because of my unsteady walking due to my spinal injury, I tell folks it helps get me home without falling over:D .

Tie clips are very important when changing diapers.

just_me

Practically Family
Celia Crowson said:
I could go on and on about fashion faux pas.

I wear Crocs and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. And I haven't given up nor do I no longer care how I look.

Doc

New in Town
Perhaps someone has mentioned this but I don’t think so. Oversized women wearing low-rise jeans with equally small tops. The product you get form this equation of fashion (and taste) deficiency is about three inches of chubby rolls of skin. OK now that everyone has broken for the head please add to this picture the women’s face; clad in massive quantities of mascara and other makeup. Folks I’ve seen this in plain daylight, AND they weren’t prostitutes.

Here’s an interesting, yet field specific fashion annoyance I see. A few of my co-workers wear their lab coats and other regalia out of the office. I’ve even see some wear those surgical paper booties to Starbucks! And yes they think they look “cool”.

Like most of you I too hate the as I call it “man dress”, the white t-shirt sooo long (and in some areas starched) one may take it to be a sun dress. The “man dress” is often accompanied by oversized pants flown at half mast (far below the belt line).

Lastly, and I know no one has said this, the dreaded pant suit! Women please I plead with you please don’t wear one! Hillary can’t pull it off, no women can. Humm I remember a photo of Janet Reno wearing a pant suit with jack boots (heheh maybe not but one could be safe to say she might have).

OH yea Crocs SUCK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24