Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faux antiqued brass

North_Star

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of how to clean faux antiqued brass from zippers in particular. I would also have to watch out for the leather, not to ruin it.

Some of the antiquing on some zippers are quite dark, almost black I say. I wouldn't mind if it were just darkened a bit. Here's just an example.

upload_2020-8-22_9-44-21.png

I don't really have anything to test it on and I'm not sure if the methods for cleaning normal brass from real antique will even work.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will work.

If available at your end of the world you could carefully try SIDOL from Henkel.

I would though recommend rather to try something mechanical like a Dremel or similar with polishing cloth bit and a little polishing paste.

Cheers

Turnip

Last edited:

North_Star

One of the Regulars
If available at your end of the world you could carefully try SIDOL from Henkel.

I would though recommend rather to try something mechanical like a Dremel or similar with polishing cloth bit and a little polishing paste.

Cheers

Turnip

Thanks. But might end up being very tricky with the leather so close to the zipper.

Does anyone know how hard that antiquing is on those zippers, especially those Talon zips. Does it wear out over time to sheene, or does it retain that aging in a normal daily wear?

Turnip

It’s as hard as any other oxidation layer, no matter if „natural“ or „artificial“ and yes, it will wear down with the time in use.

North_Star

One of the Regulars
Dremeling it with the small details that zippers have and the leather, might end up being the first and the last mistake I take with it:D

Turnip

Dremeling it with the small details that zippers have and the leather, might end up being the first and the last mistake I take with it:D

You could „test and learn“ on any „modern“ zipper first and believe or not, those zippers are even replaceable too...:D

North_Star

One of the Regulars
Yes, Sir. You just need to „use“ it anyhow. No mechanical action, no wear down.

I understand thank you for the reply!
I was hoping some magical potion I could rub on it and it would start to come off:D But the best option might be to just leave it and let it naturaly buff out

North_Star

One of the Regulars
You could „test and learn“ on any „modern“ zipper first and believe or not, those zippers are even replaceable too...:D

Yes they are but it would be too much of a hassle to change it, and in this case they are almost new and working perfectly.

And I don't have any jacket with this type of a zipper that I could sacrifice for the sake of testing. Maybe I could buy a test zipper but we'll see.

Turnip

That potion would have been SIDOL then...;)...and you could apply it very exactly using a small brush.

Sulphur acid at ~6% works even better...:D

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
probably electro chemically coated, usually they fade seamlessly with use in somewhat more gradual and graceful than painted zipper. I vote for just wear it, I don't have talon zip, but with antigued YKK the faded parts will show more orange tone so probably more copper than brass underneath

North_Star

One of the Regulars
probably electro chemically coated, usually they fade seamlessly with use in somewhat more gradual and graceful than painted zipper. I vote for just wear it, I don't have talon zip, but with antigued YKK the faded parts will show more orange tone so probably more copper than brass underneath

Thanks Navetsea. Do you have any pictures that you could provide?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko