Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

benstephens

Practically Family
Expert on no expert you have an very good eye for style.....

Ben

HadleyH said:
I'm not really an expert on this topic, but to my eye the cars built in the 20s and 30s were absolute works of art!!! Like this 1930 Bugatti for example ... :)

bug.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
benstephens said:
Expert on no expert you have an very good eye for style.....
Had's toyin' with you Ben.;) She must have nothing better to do this evening. [huh]

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have a deep appreciation for all vintage and classic autos from the advent of the motorcar to about the 1950’s… ok; some 60’s cars are rather unique!

My self, the beauty that is possessed by the pre WWII autos is truly amazing, the design of all the high-end makes is truly remarkable and is worthy of mention and praise.

However, I’m a simple man and find joy in the lower priced autos of the period… give me any low priced 30’s to 40’s car and I’m happy as a clam! It doesn’t even have to be very clean or perfect… as long as it runs well and is enjoyable to drive… oh, and get parts for I’m a happy camper!

Dreaming is fun, but, it’s best to dream practical... it's more enjoyable to own, operate and afford the dream as well!

Shoot for the stars I say, if one desires a Duesenberg, said individual has the money, by all means, buy and enjoy! For myself though, I’m not crazy about trailer queens… it’s about driving and really enjoying an auto! Even doing light work on a car is rather entertaining and enjoyable!

Yep, give me a working class auto from the period and I’m a happy camper! ;)

I give you, my dream car! A 1939 Plymouth rumble seat roadster... from the '39 Fair.

4239_image.jpg

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
Since I'm dreaming big, anybody up for a spin in my (dream) 1938 Talbot Lago?
060915001.4.jpg

Or perhaps a Hudson Terraplane?

37terraplane.jpg

A Cord Phaeton would easily win my heart as well.

1937%20Cord%20Phaeton1.jpg

One of these doozies, the GM Futurliner, is truly a hummer (pun)! Makes the H3 look like a kiddy kar!

futurliner.jpg

video.htm

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
I like nearly all of the cars of the 30's, but a couple of my favorites are the 1932 Studebaker President Big 8 Four Seasons Roadster and the late 30's Studebaker Coupe Express (a "city" pickup). The cars I remember best are those of the 30's/40's we had when I was a youngster during that time.

My Mother had a 1936 Buick Series 70 and then when I was about 7 or 8 a 1939 Buick Roadmaster. Both were black. Then in November or so of 1940, we got a 1941 Buick Roadmaster two tone green. "Old Faithful" lasted us the long years of WWII,although it was limping a little by the end of the war. Duirng that time, my Dad had a 1935 Ford 3 window coupe (black) and then later, a 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible, black with tan canvas top and brown leather seats. My Dad was gone during the war years, so my sisters and older brother used that car, although it only had an A gas rationing sticker, so they didn't go far on 3 to 5 gallons of gas a week. (I can't remember if the A sticker was 3 or 5 gallons, and it may have changed from year to year. Because we had a farm, the Buick had a rationing sticker for virtually as much gas as needed. It was a farm "perk". I can't quite remember, but that may have been an X sticker. We also had a 1928 REO truck at the farm, which no could start except my Mother, but that's another story. That old monster was used up into the 50's to haul cotton to the Gin.

After the war, my Dad got a '46 Ford Sedan; dark blue for a short while, then it turned purple, then most of the paint just sort of slid off of it. My Mother got a '47 Buick Roadmaster Sedan which was this gawdawful blue color. Then just about the time of my senior year in highschool (1948-49) my life was "saved" as Mother got a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedan that was beautiful dark green and had a Dyna Flow automatic transmission and a little earlier in July of 1948, my Dad got a '49 Mercury convertible (Seafoam Green), which was THE car of that time. My sisters and brother were adults by then, my younger brother too young to drive, so I had no competiton for using the cars. I was 16 when I graduated from highschool and in Texas at that time, you could get a drivers license at 14, although I think I had been driving about a year before that. There wasn't much you could run over - there was only one stop light in town at the highway, and nobody ever paid any attention to it anyway. My Dad made a "deal" with me that he would hang on to the Mercury until I could earn enough in the summer to buy it from him, so during the summer of 1950 I made enough money to buy it for $500. As I went to college in New York(Columbia Univ), I couldn't take it to college with me, but it was mine. I had it all the way through college and after. I loved that old Merc. It was part of my life. I know 500 bucks doesn't sound like much money, but in 1950 it was and I think the car only cost about $1,800 new in 1948 (maybe less). And I expect I got a "pretty good deal" also. I don't remember exactly how much the Buick cost (probably about $2,800 or $2,900), but I know my Mother carried on something fierce about it. She kept saying, "but I only paid less than $1,200 for the '41 - why is the price so high now". Well, the 30's and the depression were over and so were cheap prices.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Bill Taylor said:
Then in November or so of 1940, we got a 1941 Buick Roadmaster two tone green. "Old Faithful" lasted us the long years of WWII,although it was limping a little by the end of the war.

Well I relly love the '41s. I own one....

Tell me out of interest - was it possible to actually buy a '41 in November of 1940?.

Thanks Bill.

BrianBuickDalkeyJuly06005.jpg
[/IMG]

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Cool with a bit of quirk
IMG_3444.jpg

Pure class
IMG_3442.jpg

And I don't know why- but something about this particular car struck me when I saw it. I don't know if it's the color or the body or the beat to hell condition, but I really like it.
IMG_3472.jpg

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
1941 Buick

Mr. 'H' said:
Well I relly love the '41s. I own one....

Tell me out of interest - was it possible to actually buy a '41 in November of 1940?.

Thanks Bill.

BrianBuickDalkeyJuly06005.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, new models for each year usually came out between October and December of the prior year (i.e. you got next years model a little ahead of time. Detroit even had what they called "a model year from about Oct to Sep" vs a calendar year. My Dad got at 1949 Mercury in July of 1948 - totally new style so they came out really early.

Bill

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Incidentally, Mr. H, I forgot to mention, you will probably be able to determine the date of manufacture of your 41 Buick. It should be on a metal tag attached to door jamb (probably driver door), or if not there somewhere on the firewall. It will give all statistics, color code, model style, model year and month and year manufactured. That will give you an idea of when first sold - probably a month or so later than date manufactured.

Bill

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
IMG_3444.jpg

Is that a maroon Hudson in the background?

Mr. H, not only is that a Hudson in the background, the GREEN convertible is a Hudson too!!!!!! A very, very rare 1937 Hudson Terraplane Convertible Coupe! Which I'd say is more desirable then the Hornet it's next to!... well, for me it is! ;)

Hudson made some fine cars up till about 1952... after that, their styles just aren't my bag.

By the way Mr. H, how is your '41 Buick doin'?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
And I don't know why- but something about this particular car struck me when I saw it. I don't know if it's the color or the body or the beat to hell condition, but I really like it.
IMG_3472.jpg

That's beat to hell? Gee, wonder what that makes my car? Scrap? lol

That light green 1936 Chevy my friend is a good original car... and most likely could be a daily driver! My self, I'd be pleased as punch to own that!!!

Now, this car is beat to hell! ↓

K04143-36chev.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It doesn't show really in the pictures, but the bodywork is all crunched in and popped back out with what looks like a sledgehammer.

It looked to be in good mechanical shape, but the rest was either warped, dented or rusted. Actually looks pretty decent in the shots. That being said, I loved it, and would drive it around in a heartbeat. I like cars in this condition better than the over restored ones you only see come out for the car shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass