Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Wild Root

Gone Home
Back on track.

Ok, if you guys want to know more about the ever so sleek 1938 Phantom Corsair, I just cut and pasted the stats and history behind the car, it's a one of a kind this car!

MODEL Experimental Six-Passenger Coupe
BUILT BY Rust Heinz
Pasadena, California
BODY BY Bohman & Schwartz/Heinz
PRICE N/A
ENGINE Lycoming (Cord) L-Head V-8 Cylinder, 190 H.P.
BORE 3-1/12"
STROKE 3-3/4"
DISPLACEMENT 288.6 Cu. In.

This very unusual six-passenger coupe was designed by Rust Heinz, a member of the H. J. Heinz (57 Varieties) family. The design was a joint effort of Heinz and Maurice Schwartz of the custom body firm Bohman & Schwartz in Pasadena, California. Heinz' creation, costing approximately $24,000 in 1938, featured aerodynamic engineering, front-wheel-drive, electric gear shift, four speeds forward and a Cord V-8 Lycoming engine which was modified by Andy Granatelli. Built on a modified Cord 810 chassis, the car's lower frame was made of chrome molybdenum steel and the upper frame was constructed of electrically welded aviation steel tubing. The allow steel and aluminum body had no running boards, fenders or door handles. The doors were opened at the touch of buttons located on the outside and on the instrument panel. The interior was padded throughout with cork and rubber for safety, sound proofing, and insulation.

In addition o the normal instruments found in a stock Cord panel there were oil temperature, manifold vacuum and fuel economizer gauges, battery charge level indicator, altimeter, barometer and compass. Four persons sat across the front seat and two in the back seat, facing the rear. Approximate top speed was 115 mph. Heinz planned to put the Phantom Corsair into limited production at an estimated selling price of $12,500. His death, however, shortly after the car was completed, ended those plans. This automobile was featured as the Flying Wombat in the 1938 film, "The Young In Heart," starring Paulette Goddard, Janet Gaynor, Billie Burke and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

phantom4.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
One thing that is impressive, it's a six passenger coupe! Who makes one today?

I'll never own one... because there's only one... and it's too rare to drive around on a regular basis. But, for me, she's real easy on the eyes.

Did you read how much one would have cost in 1938? 12,000.00+ is a nice chunk of change for that year! As it stands, I'd still rather have the 'Topper' car! Oh, wile I'm dreaming I'd have both! lol

=WR=

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Current resting place for that piece of automotive fine art is the National Auto Museum in Reno, NV.

I've seen it. Incredible piece of machinery, and an even more incredible work of art.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
just catching up really quickly on posts.

Benny: Thank you, you are too kind. :) I don't know much about the market of cars here... I just know what I like. I think Cadillacs, Fords, and Chevy's are what I see most of at the car shows out here.

Tony in Tarzana: B Parker was quite plain wasn't she. I suppose her legend outshines her.

Johnnydnh: I don't know if they do, I'll have to ask my sister. Hehehehe... I know they have cherry strutle (sp?)

JW

New in Town
My Dream Car

1936 Cadillac Series 85

V12 engine
368 cid (6L)
150 bhp (110.4 KW) @ 3600rpm
Cast-iron block, Aluminum Heads
3-speed manual transmission
Seats 5
Only 651 Made

32066uv.jpg

320612nc.jpg

320624nb.jpg

320684wl.jpg

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
The Mid-Thirties ring my bell.
Here's my dreamlist -
1934 Hudson Eight (because I've got one !)
1941 Graham Hollywood (not mid-30's but who could resist an affordable Cord lookalike ?)
1936-1939 Peugeot 402 (the Airflow eats garlic)
1934-1936 Hupmobile (what happens if a Frenchman goes to Detroit)
1935 Studebaker Dictator (crazy name, crazy car)
Any mid-30's Hotchkiss or Salmson (restrained middle class chic)
Tatra T87 (what can I say about this one ?)

I haven't got pics of them all to post - Google search to see what I mean.

cneil

Familiar Face
There is more than just Fords, Chevy's and Cadailacs.

LolitaHaze said:
Benny: Thank you, you are too kind. :) I don't know much about the market of cars here... I just know what I like. I think Cadillacs, Fords, and Chevy's are what I see most of at the car shows out here.

[/QUATE]

Mopar—I.E. Chryslers, Desoto, Doges and Plymouths, as well a related vehicles, Chandlers and Maxwell get over looked by many collectors and are disproportional under represented at Car Shows.

Also, when on realizes that there where over 2400 Car companies in the 1920’s. That any good show should have a good showing of them.

ACD Group, for example, was the 8th. Largest Automobile manufacture in the World, and they made some of the BEST. (Auburn, Cord and Duisenberg)

Packard was the Quality standard of the World for Autos.

Hupmomile made really great 3/4 size cars (Smaller cars in the size of a ford or Chevrolet)

Marmon made some really impressive cares and its Jr. division, Roosevelt are great also.

Graham-Page had good, reliable cars.

Hudson where good cars and affordable.

Willis-Knight-Overland made engines for many small production car companies as well as there own cars.

Pierce-Arrow made what has to be called the American equivalent of the Rolls-Royce, Smooth, Quiet, Powerful and Luxuriate..

Franklin, Very Good 3/4 size Air Cooled Cars, very advanced and reliable.
They also made some very Luxuries Full Size cars.

Detroit-Dobble, A very advanced Steam powered Car.

Moon, An early Front Wheel Drive proponent.

And there are very many more.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Not necessarily my favorite all-around car, but...

Mechanically, these are somewhat problematic. But for just plain good looks, they're tough to beat.

ee9d2f2f.jpg

1939 Lincoln-Zephyr Convertible Coupe

And it looks good going away too!
edd8e3d5.jpg

1939 Lincoln-Zephyr Convertible Coupe

cneil

Familiar Face
1934 Voisin C-25 ETS Roadster.

That is the Best Looking Voisin I have ever seen

Or

More Percissly, the Best Looking Voisin I have ever seen a Pictuer of, I do not really ever remember seeing one in real life, just pictuers.

They are French, there fore rather uncommon on this side of the pond.

cneil

Familiar Face

Sorta looks like a cross betreen a Mercedes-Benz SK-540 Coupe and a 3 1/2 Litter Bently Blower with a little Super Swallow SS100 Jaguar throne in.

Nice Coctail.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Marmon

Had a 1930 Marmon, destroyed in a barn fire before restoration, saved a door, wheel and the VIN plate....long since gone too.
Now I have a 1930 Chevy stake bed truck, which just trophied at it's first car show.
My favorite vintage cars tend to be Bugatti's.

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails