Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

cneil

Familiar Face
A.C.D Cars

The Cord L-29, part of the A.C.D Group by E.L.Cord.
Licened the Miller Front wheel drive system, thoe the Cord set up was I belive unique.

Miller buit Front wheek drive race cars.

Cord along with Moon and Citeron in France built the First Front wheel Drive Cars that where produced in numers and practical.

I belive Moon built very few befor it whent under.

So Cord for the United States and Citiron for Europe for first production Front wheel Cars.

I like the look of the cord better and its early production numbers beat the other two.

The Reno Kid said:
Here's another one that looks particularly nice (to me anyway).
edc620ed.jpg

1930 Cord L29

This one was technically innovative too. I believe it was the first practical use of front wheel drive.

And here's a shapely stablemate.

Auburn 8-100A.

I have driven the Auburn 8-98A from 1930.
Great Car, drives well and look Wonderful.
CN.
edc61bda.jpg

1932 Auburn 8-100A

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
cneil said:
I have driven the Auburn 8-98A from 1930.
Great Car, drives well and look Wonderful.

Color me jealous. I almost bought a '30 Auburn (I think it was an 8-105). I just didn't have any place to keep it. Oh well...

cneil

Familiar Face
Auburns

The Reno Kid said:
Color me jealous. I almost bought a '30 Auburn (I think it was an 8-105). I just didn't have any place to keep it. Oh well...

You should have boght it if you could.

I would have boght the 8-98 if I could.
It belonged to a friend of my dad's.
He boght it for $800 in 1954
All original! and seconed owner.

As I got older, He would let me drive it and we would enter the cars in to concorse de Elegances.

He died a few years ago and one of his step sons has it now across country.

Just a wonderful car.

Hondo

One Too Many
Gray Ford couple

This post has so many great looking autos, it makes me drool, I just will never be able to afford any, but one I do admire it’s the gray Ford two door couple (1937?) that Bogie drives in High Sierra, Dark Passage, you don’t see many of them around, I love the shape of the body style :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
are the 60's considered golden era? anyways, my favorite 'older' car is a 64 corvette stingray Corvette

My husband bought one just like this one in the picture and I've been in love with it as well...though have yet to be allowed to drive it :mad: :rolleyes:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
RUMEN Redeux

Speedster said:
This french company "Four Stroke Design" is going to/producing the small RUMEN, which is 30'ies design with modern technology in a small package suitable for todays urban traffic:

Cute little car. Don't know what it will cost though.

Speedster

For a modern model this is a great car! I like it even better in the red/white paint:

Rumen065HiRes.jpg

Unfortunately, they don't have plans to import to the US.

Also unfortunately, it costs $50k.

Ah well, I'd rather have a vintage auto anyhow.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Of peripheral interest

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/realestate/01scap.html

Q Do you know of any old photographs of the elegant Packard showroom at 1861 Broadway that was opened in 1907 and taken down in the 1960’s?... James Pearsall, Zarephath, N.J.
Skip to next paragraph
Library of Congress

SACRED AND PROFANE The Packard showroom at Broadway and 61st Street inside and out, in 1907. Until about 1920, Broadway in the West 60’s was thick with automobile showrooms and garages.
Library of Congress

New-York Historical Society

Temple Beth-El was built in 1891 at the southeast corner of 76th Street and Fifth Avenue. A long flight of steps led to a massive entrance, and its square dome was outlined with a spider web of copper gilding.

A A brief article on the showroom in the December 1907 issue of Architects’ and Builders’ Magazine includes interior and exterior photographs.

The Packard building, at the northwest corner of 61st Street, went up as the old carriage center on Broadway near Times Square closed and newer buildings constructed for the automobile began to open uptown. The crisp white terra-cotta facade, designed by Albert Kahn, emphasized glass bays running up through all four floors; the main floor was double-height.

Light spilled in during the daytime, and the interior lighting illuminated the street from the inside at night. The section facing Broadway was the showroom, with a full garage in the rear part of the building.

An advertisement in The New York Times in August 1907 announced the opening and offered limousines, landaulets, touring cars and runabouts. Until about 1920, Broadway in the West 60’s grew thick with automobile showrooms and garages: Locomobile and Packard at 61st; Cadillac, White and Reo at 62nd; Hudson at 64th; and Winton at 70th.

Few have heard of Albert Kahn, but he was one of this country’s most successful architects and built a firm specializing in factory design that survives to this day. Born in Germany in 1869, he immigrated to Detroit with his parents, studied architecture and around 1903 met Henry B. Joy, the head of the Packard company.

Despite Kahn’s negligible experience in the field, Joy asked him to design a Detroit factory for Packard, and a string of Packard commissions soon flowed from that collaboration. In 1941, the Internal Revenue Service listed Kahn’s salary of $432,000 as the eighth-highest in the country, below that of the president of Lever Brothers but above that of the president of Loew’s. By the time of his death in 1942, he had designed more than 1,000 buildings for Ford alone, like most of its giant River Rouge and Willow Run plants in Michigan.

In 1926, Kahn designed another showroom for Packard, the long, curving corner building still standing at Sherman Avenue and Broadway, and an extension on the 61st Street structure. Two years later, he designed the company’s large service garage on 11th Avenue between 54th and 55th Streets.

Packard owned the 61st Street building through 1958, but it was destroyed to make way for the American Bible Society building in the early 1960’s, and the demise of other showrooms and garages in this section followed.

Still, the motor car’s presence has not been completely extinguished: the Automobile Club of New York, the state AAA affiliate, has an office at the northwest corner of 62nd and Broadway.

Haversack

One Too Many
Related to the peripheral interest above, the Packard showroom building in San Francisco is still intact and selling automobiles. (Jaguars and Bentley however). It was designed in 1927 by Bernard Maybeck for Earle C. Anthony who had extensive car dealerships throughout the state. (Maybeck also designed the Anthony's home in Los Angeles). The following URL has outside and inside photos of the Beaux Art showroom:

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/sf153.asp

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo