Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Crown Shape

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think he meant that viewed from above the bash is the SHAPE of the traditional Superman shield. But it does kinda look like the hats that George Reeves wore as Clark Kent in the 50s Adventures of Superman series...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah the reverse taper

I love that and Wingnut is right they are difficult to pull off with out the high crown. I have this Cavanagh but the brim is a bit short
DSCN3257.jpg

Marc had shown a poster of some amazing hats with a reverse taper. I wish I could find that.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
I think he meant that viewed from above the bash is the SHAPE of the traditional Superman shield. But it does kinda look like the hats that George Reeves wore as Clark Kent in the 50s Adventures of Superman series...

Thanks, Doc. You mean this:
Superman_shield.GIF

Now I get it.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Super Whippet

Sorry everyone, I just couldn't resist making this (in digital form only, of course):

SuperWhippet.jpg

I hope it gets a chuckle, not a groan.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Wolfman, it got more than chuckle! lol

I'm with Spiridon, my favourite is the diamond, followed by the C-crown; and like Spiridon, I've got more hats bashed into a C-crown than anything else. At the moment I've got 2 diamonds, 3 C-crowns and one lonely centre dent.

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
I'm a big fan of the center crease. Its simple yet classy. Add the side dents for extra pizzazz on certain hats, but mainly just the center crease. I also like the porkpie bash.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
Put me solidly in the "C" crown set, with an occasional center dent. The Diamond looks pretty cool as well, but I lack the confidence to try and bash the hat myself (My last effort did not end well)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
My favorite has always been the diamond but didn't start getting decent at it till I retired & played with hats full time. You can change the look of any hat by where you set the sides & start the rear diamond.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
A homburg bash is my favorite, robust and simple. I prefer no taper to the crown (thus I adore my Fawcett diamond type crown as well). I also like porkpies a great deal.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Hi, I notice that there are a whole different types of pinches, from sharp edge pinches to soft ones. Some in front, some on the sides. Some hats are not blocked to have any, not to mention open crowns that you are supposed to make your own.

Is there a grading system for pinches? May be a silly question but there is a specific kind that I like and would love to be able to describe it to sellers or hat makers.

Hi, I notice that there are a whole different types of pinches, from sharp edge pinches to soft ones. Some in front, some on the sides. Some hats are not blocked to have any, not to mention open crowns that you are supposed to make your own.

Is there a grading system for pinches? May be a silly question but there is a specific kind that I like and would love to be able to describe it to sellers or hat makers.
Not a grading system to my knowledge just the very subjective descriptors.....narrow, deep, side, etc etc. There are names for certain styles that gets one closer but even then the latitude is great. If I am ordering a custom hat I will either supply the maker with pictures or will ask for it open crown so I can personalize the bash/pinches.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

1 finger, 2 finger, 3 finger widths etc.
Works for me.
B

I’ve never felt the need to quantify the sharpness of the pinch or their length or depth. To me, they are sort of organic and I’m always changing them up. The hats that most of us focus on are able to be reshaped and we just go by look and feel rather than measurements or fixed descriptive nomenclature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
but there is a specific kind that I like and would love to be able to describe it to sellers or hat makers.

Maybe if you describe that "specific kind" to the learned members of this board, or better still, make a photo appear by the wizzardry of modern technology, you may well be furnished with the specific name of that particular type/style.
To quote the Spirit of the West; " These days they've got a name for just about everything."

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My two favorites, and actually the only ones in all my hats, are center dent and diamond.

And it depends on the hat. At the most simple, if a center-dented hat's sides are not straight up enough for me, I widen the top into a diamond. But sometimes that doesn't work, either, depending on the contours of the crown of a particular hat. Then I start experimenting with the front until I find an overall shape that works best for that particular hat.

Sometimes a diamond will make a hat look too wide. I have a Penman that came to me (new) with a 6-point diamond (that looked almost like a C-crown, which I do not prefer) that was too wide, even though I love a reverse taper. It just didn't look right on me. So I redid the top into a center dent, and now it is much better.

Yet, my Hufvud has a center dent and noticeable reverse taper and I love it.

Basically, I would say what I always say in situations such as these: if you have any doubts about your feelings on a hat's looks, experiment. Steam or sprayed water will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider